Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why DHS has been hoarding ammo. The answer. I think.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That makes a lot of sense but I know what everyone is talking about with spending every penny. When I was in a squadron it was not uncommon for the maintenance officer to have the guys seal all the fuel tanks on the hangar queens along with hanging drop tanks. Have fuels come and fill everything up on the last day of the fiscal year and the next day have them defueled. We also did a lot of flying just to burn gas.

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Ive a question to ask, BEFORE I relay what was told to me today by a friend of mine who goes to trade shows to buy ammo for my local
    favorite gunshop.
    My question is this..conspiracy or 5 year purchase or whatever, is or is not this going to affect both availability and price, when the ammo makers start fullfilling those gub-ment contracts?
    Tossing all the tin foil b.s. aside for a moment, Im not understanding the 5 year purchase of ammo. If youve got money left over for the year, year after year, do you buy 5 years ahead every year? Or once every 5 years?
    The contract locks in the price for that time. So the ammo they buy in 2018 is the same price as the ammo they buy now. My dept just ended our 4 year contract with ATK and next years contract is going to be a lot more expensive because of the increase in ammo prices.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Why DHS has been hoarding ammo. The answer. I think.

So just like that we are going to rationalize and forget it? Not me I'm a sceptic for life.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Big Sis Seeks Millions MORE Rounds of Ammunition...
    The Department of Homeland Security has released a market survey asking companies if they are able to provide 2 million rounds of ammunition within a short time period, increasing concerns that the federal agency is continuing its arms build up in preparation for domestic unrest.
    [...]
    Ammunition is becoming increasingly scarce, with gun stores across the nation forced to resort to bullet rationing in an attempt to satisfy as many customers as they can, while some police departments are having to barter between themselves to meet demand.

The market survey also indicates that the DHS is interested in purchasing ammunition that will safely fragment when fired against an “armor steel plate,” which will only serve to stoke fears that the feds are gearing up to use the ammunition in an offensive manner.
    Thing is, if there's any truth to the thinking that we actually control the government and it doesn't control us, we could put a halt to this nonsense.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by currahee View Post
    I am well aware of the "spend it or lose it" mindset of bureaucratic agencies, and that idea does nothing to loosen my tinfoil.

How many rounds of amunition? How many MRAPs?

Yet they can't afford to hold criminals in jail.
    Clearly the plan is to release the criminals and then expend the ammunition shooting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    We imprison more people than any other nation on earth and it costs us a lot financially, currahee.
    We have, IIRC, more people in prison than China does. Twice as many people in prison, per capita, as Russia. Both of them are police states. If we're not a police state, does that make us a prison state?

Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    So just like that we are going to rationalize and forget it? Not me I'm a sceptic for life.
    I see that 'c' in there and think it's supposed to be pronounced 'septic'.

So you're a septic for life?

(I know, it's an archaic spelling of skeptic. But still.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Where are you guys reading that these purchase orders are to be filled in full? All the info I've seen is that they are contract orders UP TO xxx amount meaning when call and want 30 million rounds production gets diverted to fill their request as it takes priority. In the end the artificial demand just keeps supply dried up .
    This makes a great deal of sense to me.

Lets see if this goes anywhere:

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/20...ammo-purchase/
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    DHS officials said in fiscal year 2012 the agency purchased 103 million rounds and used 88 million rounds for training, and 28 million rounds during actual operations.
    Come again?
    Hang up and drive.

Luke 22:35-38

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Then why wont they just say that's why they are buying billions of rounds, and armored vehicles.

The fact that Mr. Napolitano wont fess up makes it fishy.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Then why wont they just say that's why they are buying billions of rounds, and armored vehicles.

The fact that Mr. Napolitano wont fess up makes it fishy.
    Mind you this is the same woman who said the day of and after the Boston bombing that it was not and is not part of larger cell and no future attacks are going to occur. Sooooo either she is purposely misleading the American people or she is incompetent.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    It was that way at the end of the fiscal year in the Marine Corps. I was an XO for an artillery battery and always felt the system bred waste and misuse.

Bn CO: "We have 30 days until the end of the fiscal year and $XXXXX left. If we don't spend this then we lose it and they won't give us as much next year. So find out anything the howitzers need, find out what's wrong with any of the trucks, order excess parts, and find out any other office supplies or anything else you might want."

It always caused the most ridiculous ideas to waste money to be brought up. I was never in charge of a battalion or higher's budget so maybe I just don't get why it has to be that way but it seemed wasteful. And it seemed the system being that way was the reason for it.

But to the point of hoarding ammo before the sequestration I completely understand holding on to as much of that as possible. Ammo is something that I would never look at obtaining large quantities of as waste.
    Care to mention which Bn?

Not that it's unique to one unit, but I know exactly what you speak of. GSA runs and 4-cards for M777's out the ass around mid-september.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast