Thread: Would AR work well without pistol grip

Feedback Score

Would AR work well without pistol grip

Not caving in or anything but with all the anti-gun freaks getting worked up about how a pistol grip is so evil, I started wondering about something. If you removed a pistol grip off an AR would it function alright and be functional? I believe it would be awkward as h**l to grip and sight but just wondered if any other technical issues that would keep it from working? I know you would have to put some plug in or something to hold the detent spring. If it worked and feasible it would be worth the effort to take in an AR without a pistol grip or muzzle attachment and watch the anti's head spin around like Linda Blair's in the Exorcist.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I imagine that as long as the detent spring was held as securely with a plug as it is with the pistol grip, then the rifle would mechanically function the same. Probably the easiest thing would be to mill off a standard pistol grip flush with the bottom edge of the trigger guard.
    "Would AR work well without pistol grip"?
    I don't see how it would be accurate or comfortable to fire it in this configuration without significant modifications to the stock as well, so, no.
    Of course, the real solution is to make sure this nonsense never becomes necessary in the first place.
    Last edited by CrazyFingers; 03-01-13 at 08:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Would AR work well without pistol grip

Not a new concept... Thumb hole stocks were used in the first ban as a workaround.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes, except the language in most of the proposed bans specifically addresses that:

Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

To address the OP's concerns, this would require a different stock configuration that mimics a traditional rifle stock. I've seen different attempts at this, which may or may not be effective, but the thumbhole stocks would be right out.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The question was answered in the above post. No need to go any further.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.