Thread: New here and new build

Feedback Score

New here and new build

I recently completed my bastard build that I built with the DMR concept in mind.

I wanted a rifle that would maintain as much maneuverability of the M4 as possible (in and out of vehicles) while still being able to reach out to 6-700m and still be useful for CQB in a pinch. I felt that this was a relatively tall order as the two roles don't usually mesh. The following is my attempt to render my needs/wants into reality.

I started with a Spikes stripped lower.
    Added a LMT 2 stage Match trigger
    VLTOR Emod buttstock
    Magpul reciever endplate with 1 pt sling QD swivel. (the only one available at the time)
    Spikes H buffer

Upper reciever is a BCM blemished stripped upper
    Colt FA BCG
    LMT charging handle with Badger tac latch
    Legion Firearms 18" hex cut mid-length FDE barrel (my first middie)
    MI 12" free float quad rail
    Bennie Cooley Comp
    MI 45 degree offset mount for a Micro red dot. (haven't made this purchase yet but it will probably be either a Burris Fastfire or Trijicon RMR)
    Harris Bipods.

Optic is a Weaver Tactical Grand Slam in a Primary Arms mount. (optic will be upgraded as funds allow)

A few notes on this build. I was stuck buying the "punisher" lower as it was the only one in stock at the time. This gave me even more motivation to paint the rifle. I brought this build together for a grand total of $1500 excluding optic and mount. The barrel ate up literally 1/3 of this but my armorers here at work swear by Legion so I decided to give em a try. I AM NOT DISAPPOINTED to say the least. Good customer service and quality sharp looking barrel. I had to wait about 6 weeks for the barrel and that is half the normal lead time they quote. This build was started the day after Sandy Hook.
    This is the rifle the day it was completed with my old freebie scope mounted

Another

This is the rifle as it sits with Ladder rail covers and new scope

My first range outing was only about 100 rounds of various ammo to determine what the rifle likes the best and also to complete my break-in process. I discovered that the cheap optic that I initially had on it allowed my zero to "float" so I didn't attempt to push the range past 100m once I discovered this. The rifle definitely prefers 77 gr SMK over PMC 55 gr and winchester 55 gr.. No suprises there, but it did print several MOA groups with the SMK. 55 Gr ammo typically printed 2 MOA. I have yet to run 62 gr M855 through it, but I have relatively high hopes as it is primarily what I stock for my wife's LMT M4.

Again. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your forum and I plan to learn a lot here
    Semper Fidelis

"Those who are not deterred by laws against murder will not be deterred by laws against guns"- Robert Levy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice. I like the SPR concept. Thinking about going that route with my AR 10.

Don't tell anyone, but I kind of like the Punisher lowers. I'd buy one, but I'm afraid in a moment of weakness I might color fill it. At least it wasn't a zombie lower.

What's the barrel profile? Looks like a HBAR, but dimpled instead of fluted to reduce weight? Nice looking rig.

Feedback Score
    Yup it is a H-bar with hex cut flutes that "supposedly" reduce weight by 8 oz. IDK but until I added the bipods it pointed just like an M4.. After the bipods now... It kinda handles like I hung a dumbell off the end of it

I can't wait for the weather to clear up so I can run it through its paces and try to stretch its legs a bit. I'd like to find a place to go out to 700m, but my unit is gay and won't let us use personal weapons on our ranges so my only option is a high priced range an hour and a half or so away and it only goes to 300m and does not allow dynamic shooting and moving or anything fun like that.

I am including the link to the website that I purchased my barrel from because they have better pics than me. I am in no way affilliated with them other than being a satisfied customer.

http://store.legionfirearms.com/18-H...rel_18_hex.htm
    Last edited by usmc2014; 03-06-13 at 18:15. Reason: add link
    Semper Fidelis

"Those who are not deterred by laws against murder will not be deterred by laws against guns"- Robert Levy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The barrel is relieved with hexagons. Think "honey-combed"
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice camo paint job. What'd you use?

Feedback Score
    Krylon
    FDE, Dark Brown, & OD
    I started with a couple of light base coats of FDE then did dark brown stripes. I then cut a small square off a cammie net that I had and draped it over various parts of the gun and dusted OD onto the gun.

After it was done I decided to go back and use the cammie net again and added some dark brown to it as well. It turned out pretty decent I think especially since it was the first time that I have painted one of my own rifles. I have painted rifles at work and for some other people, its just a little different when it is your own gun I think you tend to care a bit more
    Semper Fidelis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice build. I am a fan of krylon too.