Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this a properly staked BCG?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by callen3615 View Post
    Metallurgy, I doubt RRA even uses Carpenter 158 and Im positive they dont HP test or MP test.

I wouldnt pay 150$ for that carrier and bolt.
    Ok, thanks for all the help. I guess i will pass on this one.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Because it's made by RRA. I am fairly certain they do not HP/MPI test their bolts and there are no specs that I can find as to their bolts.

He probably had a carrier key for a piston on there, and then removed it, is my guess. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    How can we tell that the bolt is not up to spec?

I'm not buying it yet, but its the only BCG that is available locally to me. I did notice those screws are not the usual staking screws, which pointed me to the staking.

One last note, the seller mentioned was swapped out for a gas piston kit (if that makes a difference). Here's the link to the actual ad:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/115322...ock-river-bolt

I haven't bought it yet, but now i'm having doubts. Unless someone can point me to a mil-spec BCG that I can buy in stock for around the same price or less.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    My understanding all the CMMG gas piston kits (like the one I bought) have a one piece bolt carrier with the key machined into the carrier. In fact, on my CMMG gas piston bolt carrier the key is not removable. So I doubt the original owner modified the bolt carrier above.

I just built a nice little CMMG 11.5" gas piston SBR that doesn't give me black face with my M4-2000 suppressor. I'm using a PSA bolt in mine, which is all I could find at the time. In the Palmetto State Armory (PSA) bolt I'm using a BCM firing pin, plus a BCM upper, barrel nut, and delta ring. But the barrel and gas piston kit is CMMG.

All topped off with AAC 18T Blackout flash hider for suppressor mount. I have a set of Magpul MBUS and a set of Troy flip up sights and can't decide which to put on my new 16" ADCOR BEAR and which to put on the SBR. I'd prefer the Troy on the ADCOR, but worry the SBR gas block will be too hot for the Magpul.
    Last edited by ColoradoPacker; 03-06-13 at 20:43.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I would pass. They don't look properly staked and the bolts are not standard so who knows if they can handle the stress and heat vs. standard.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It looks fine. The bolts are Torx (vice 8-32 x 1/4) and the staking looks adequate.

Rock River's bolt is a crap shoot. They don't proof test nor Magnaflux.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    It looks fine. The bolts are Torx (vice 8-32 x 1/4) and the staking looks adequate.

Rock River's bolt is a crap shoot. They don't proof test nor Magnaflux.
    Exactly.
    I use grade 8 torx or torx+, and they work fine.
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    In todays hard to find environment, if that is the last thing you need to create a working rifle. Buy it and shoot it until it breaks. Hope that by the time that happens inventory will be back in everywhere.Depending on how much you shoot, even a non spec bolt may last a few years.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Staked or not, hes right bolts not to spec. and not for that price.Think i would wait..

Feedback Score

Is this a properly staked BCG?

I wouldn't buy it never seen one with star drive heads on it. Plus that price for that quality is beyond crazy.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    The cheapest way I've found to get a BCG at this time is to buy an upper that comes with one and sell the upper if you don't need it.

Got my Colt BCG for $75 and BCM for $150 that way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast