Thread: Lightweight carbine front end, etc.

Feedback Score

Lightweight carbine front end, etc.

A Cav Arms polymer lower is coming my way that begs for a lightweight build. Already in the pipeline as well is a Les Baer lightweight (no forward assist) upper. This time I'll get a semi bolt carrier and it's looking like the barrel's going to be a CMMG 14.5" pencil barrel with a perm'd Phantom.

Since this will not be a SHTF gun, I'm thinking of foregoing a front sight and just getting the YHM Specter gas block. I can then use the Burris FastFire I already have for a lightweight closer range sight.

Parts I'm undecided about include the front end and the FCG. Yankee Hill offers a lightweight tube (YHM-9645) that looks like it may fit the bill, but I haven't used free float forearms before, so it's all new territory for me. There will be no need for rails on the forearm.

The FCG is a little bit less of a concern, although as I understand it not every thing works in this lower. Tentatively, I'm considering using an LMT two stage I currently have in another gun, with standard pins.

So, any suggestions, particularly on the forearm?

Feedback Score
    if you have no need for rails, skip them to save weight. even the yhm LW offering is heavier than some of the other rails on the market,

if you need A rail for a flashlight, you can always get a small add-a-rail doo dad from brownells. adds the functionality, with MINIMAL weight.

DPMS also makes the LOW PRO (or LO PRO) upper receiver that is sans-FA. this is another lite-weight option. however, IIRC, the top rail MIGHT not be exactly to standard flat top height......i think i remember reading that somewhere.

i have a sneaking hunch that YHM's gas block probably isnt the lightest either. you could PROBABLY go even lighter by shaving a standard FSB. Larue has a low profile gas block that is featherweight. so do a few other companies. no reason to have the rail on the YHM block if you arent running a front sight.

if you must free float, PRI and Clark both have CF tubes that are light weight. the clark being the lightest.
    http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/clk750.htm
    even DPMS has one that looks pretty ok
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/product...=1743&cat=1526

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If you want rails and want it lightweight the Daniel Defense Lite Rail is hard to beat.

Lite rails are lighter than stock/OEM bbl nut, delta ring, weld spring, snap ring, handguards w/heatshields and handguard cap.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Here is a lightweight build I did. I didn't worry about being the absolute lightest or having a bunch of extras on it. It is a Cav Arms lower with a Bushmaster 16" superlight barrel on a flat top upper. I added a Larue BUIS. I have an OKO that I used to have on it, but it got used on another set up (Lage M-11/9). The OKO is really light as it is built out of plastic, although the protective metal cage/riser adds to the weight.

I wanted a light KISS set up and think I got it. The only extra I would really want to add is a flashlight and maybe a optic. I do have a lightweight pistol rail mounted light that I am tempted to add, but I got enough guns with lights & optics. I also have a sling to it, but don't have it mounted in this picture.

Feedback Score
    At this point I'm already committed to the Les Baer receiver.

That Clark tube is lighter than the YHM, so I'll need to look into that. As far as the gas block goes, since the Phantom will have to be permanently attached by CMMG before it all comes to me, the gas block options offered by CMMG are the likely choices. Those are the Spectre or their own Micro Gas Block.

Hmm..., it might be simpler to just go for one of CMMG's front end options. They do have a pretty full suite of Daniel Defense, YHM and MI offerings.

Thanks for the input.

Feedback Score
    http://http://www.hiperform.com/hand-guards.htm

I have a hiperform on one of my builds. I am not sure as to its weight vs the Clark but it is very lite.