Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books to buy?

Feedback Score

Books to buy?

What would be a good book to buy that would teach me the basics of the AR-15, that includes how to keep it running and how to improve it. Also how to fix units that are badly worn out. It would be nice if it would include specifications and measurements.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnero View Post
    What would be a good book to buy that would teach me the basics of the AR-15, that includes how to keep it running and how to improve it. Also how to fix units that are badly worn out. It would be nice if it would include specifications and measurements.
    Kyle Lamb "Green Eyes and Black Rifles" without a doubt the best book (clear, concise, informative) on the subject. If you're just getting into the AR realm it will pay for itself.

There are several threads on it around here.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    I saw a review of that somewhere and I understand that it's written for the AR user. I was kinda looking for something for the gunsmith to refer to and to consult.

"Green Eyes and Black Rifles" is already in my want to buy list.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Are you going to be "the gunsmith"? You still probably should start with GEBR anyway as gunsmithing isn't what I would consider the "basics." There is lots of "AR self-improvement" information in it. Moreover it will give you some idea of what improvements you are going to want to make.

One way or the other, the Brownell's website has lots of good gunsmithing information on the AR (including how to build one from parts) and you don't even need to spend money.

Honestly though if you're just going to buy a quality AR, there isn't really much "gunsmithing" you're going to have to do.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    I'm trying to become one. My work has been just "change this" and "change that" or "put this together", "install this". Then it became a "fix this", "fix that".

Lately, people(who pay for what they have me do) are asking "why" their AR dont run on full auto or why it wont extract or why it wont cycle. I (along with two friends) usually get it fixed and satisfy the expectations of customers.

That is why I would like to have books just to be sure that I'm not doing a "trial and error" thing and I get something to point out to in case something fails.

Mostly I want to do a safe job.

Feedback Score
    I am currently reading "The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide; Vol.1 3rd Edition" and being new to ARs it is very interesting. Gives some history and explains alot of "common sense" stuff so that if you are a newbie, you can understand what everyone else is talking about. GEBR is next on my list.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    AMERICAN INFIDEL

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Hmm, I read books to buy and I first thought of Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Armour, Fight Club and A Game of Thrones....but now that I read what you actually wrote I'll have to chime in that I keep hearing good things about the Green Eyes Black Rifles book...gonna check it out myself.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    HELP! Where can I get GEBR? I checked Amazon.com and they are sold out, Barnes and Noble doesn't seem to carry it... I want this book!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Viking Tactics
    BCM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast