Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Lyman Tumbling Media-Red Residue- Updated

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Question About Lyman Tumbling Media-Red Residue- Updated

*Keep scrolling down for update*

So I got some Lyman tumbling media to clean my brass with- it's the red walnut stuff, I'm assuming this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/557...pour-container

Anyway, I threw a couple hundred pieces of brass through it, and it gets super coated with this red residue- both inside and out.
    I re-tumbled the brass with some walnut media I got in a pet shop, and it cleaned the red crap off the outside of the shells (and they look like new) but the inside is still coated with the red stuff.

So...
    A) WTF is this red residue, and
    B)is it going to be detrimental to reloading? Is it going to degrade the powder/primers over time?

I looked on Lyman's site here: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/t...ling-media.php
    And I'm guessing that what I got is their "Turbo Tufnut Media" as it describes it as "rouge bearing nutshell".

I just want to be sure this red residue isn't going to screw things up- I saw it all over everything and I was like
    Last edited by Jellybean; 03-14-13 at 10:12.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's rouge, meant to aid in polishing/cleaning. It's stuck to the carbon on the inside of the case. It won't hurt anything.

Feedback Score
    Cut up a dryer sheet and throw the pieces in with the brass when you tumble and it cuts down on the dust.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The lyman media is crap in my opinion. I have had much better luck with plain corn cob and either mineral spirits or dillons brass polish. It doesnt seem to clean as fast and the rouge or polish if you get the green corn cob doesnt last very long.

Feedback Score
    I asked this question on another forum and didn't get a very good answer. Am I to assume that the red dust should be cleaned out of the inside of the cases before reloading it? Will it cause problems with pressure??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    I asked this question on another forum and didn't get a very good answer. Am I to assume that the red dust should be cleaned out of the inside of the cases before reloading it? Will it cause problems with pressure??
    No, it should be ok.

Feedback Score
    This is the first tumbling media that I ever used. The red dust is annoying and I had issues with the media getting stuck in 5.56 cases. The dust won't cause problems but stuck media can. You should run them in the media before you resize them.

Now I prefer regular corn cob media and the Dillon polish. I just run the tumbler longer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magelk View Post
    Cut up a dryer sheet and throw the pieces in with the brass when you tumble and it cuts down on the dust.
    The dryer sheet helps. The red dust won't hurt anything. I would use up what you have.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Take the red stuff out of the tumbler,,,Mix 2/3 Corn Cob,,,,& 1/3 Red and you will have the best,,longest lasting media you have ever come across,,I also throw drier sheets in !! This combo works fantastic,,and lasts a very,,very,,,long time !! Try it you will NOT be disappointed !!!!

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Thanks guys!
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast