Thread: Most accurate 5.56 round

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Most accurate 5.56 round

I've got a Sig Sauer 516 and I'm only get 4-5 inch groups with it at 50 yards. I've shot federal 55gr. 5.56 fmj. Hornady superformance match bullets 72 gr. 5.56 hollow points and didn't get as good a group as the federals. I've shot Winchester pdx1 223 defenders and got the best group out of them(still not very good) but I'm looking for a 5.56 or .223 round with around 60-70 gr. lead and more powder than the defenders, they're too slow. I'm open to reloads, I've got all the stuff for it.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Even with shitty ammo you should be getting no more than about 4" groups at 100m. Are you using irons or some kind of optic? Are you an experienced shooter? Are you sure it's the gun and not you?

To answer your question Black Hills 77gr is kind of a baseline for "good" factory ammo.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Have you considered the possibility of operator error or some issue with your weapon? Loose barrel, scope mount, etc...

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Most accurate 5.56 round

FWIW Superformance shot like dog shit out of my MK12. Southwest Ammunition has some nice 77gr.

ETA: good point, I'd diagnose software (then hardware) before worrying about ammo.
    Last edited by munch520; 03-14-13 at 21:45.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: Most accurate 5.56 round

What experience do you have with rifle shooting?

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ive never shot groups with my bcm, but I did a few times with my AA upper to see if piston sucked with accuracy. Even with a red dot and xm193 my AA mid would shoot 1/4 inch groups at 50yds consistently, id assume my bcm is about the same.

Id suspect operator error or this rifle has some big problems, ie headspace, or bad crown.

Feedback Score
    While you could have a lemon, I'm betting on operator error. WHat I would do is find someone that is an experienced shooter and let them give it a try.

While reloads can be more accurate you should still be getting better than 4 inch groups at 50 yards even with crappy ammo. The ammo you have listed is not crappy and I would expect 1/2" to no more than 1 " groups at 50 yards.

Feedback Score
    Accuracy can depend on a lot of things mechanical. For instance the dimensions of your chamber vs. your ammunition. Also short light bullets can have a bit more space in the throat to the lands than longer heavier bullets. Not all bullets are created equal. I often Use PMC .223, 55 gr and the spread at a hundred meters is about four or five inches. Granted it's usually a little gusty where I shoot. If using match grade ammo it gets considerably tighter.

Feedback Score
    I've had my brother shoot a group and my friend shoot a group. My brother is an expert shot. We all three shot similar groups. I have an eotech 517 and I've used it since I've had the gun and would most of the time put two holes touching and then the gun threw the 3rd bullet a few inches left, but I have noticed better groups with it. Then I've got a swift 4-12-50 scope with a nc star quick detatch scope mount but with that at 50 yards it shot 2 shots 1 inch apart and would throw the third one 3-4 inches right. It did the same pattern with all the ammo. All the shooting was using a gun vice. All three of us are very experienced shooters.