Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most accurate 5.56 round

Feedback Score
    Accuracy can depend on a lot of things mechanical. For instance the dimensions of your chamber vs. your ammunition. Also short light bullets can have a bit more space in the throat to the lands than longer heavier bullets. Not all bullets are created equal. I often Use PMC .223, 55 gr and the spread at a hundred meters is about four or five inches. Granted it's usually a little gusty where I shoot. If using match grade ammo it gets considerably tighter.

Feedback Score
    I've had my brother shoot a group and my friend shoot a group. My brother is an expert shot. We all three shot similar groups. I have an eotech 517 and I've used it since I've had the gun and would most of the time put two holes touching and then the gun threw the 3rd bullet a few inches left, but I have noticed better groups with it. Then I've got a swift 4-12-50 scope with a nc star quick detatch scope mount but with that at 50 yards it shot 2 shots 1 inch apart and would throw the third one 3-4 inches right. It did the same pattern with all the ammo. All the shooting was using a gun vice. All three of us are very experienced shooters.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Mike55 View Post
    nc star quick detatch scope mount
    That looks like it could be the problem. Also make sure your scope is mounted properly, regardless of the mount.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 03-15-13 at 00:37.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Get rid of the NC Star garbage and shoot 5 or 10 round groups. You have to eliminate the silly factor first.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Mike55 View Post
    I've had my brother shoot a group and my friend shoot a group. My brother is an expert shot. We all three shot similar groups. I have an eotech 517 and I've used it since I've had the gun and would most of the time put two holes touching and then the gun threw the 3rd bullet a few inches left, but I have noticed better groups with it. Then I've got a swift 4-12-50 scope with a nc star quick detatch scope mount but with that at 50 yards it shot 2 shots 1 inch apart and would throw the third one 3-4 inches right. It did the same pattern with all the ammo. All the shooting was using a gun vice. All three of us are very experienced shooters.

"A firearm should be considered a fighting weapon first. Any other use should be considered a bonus." -Me

Click here for Semper Paratus Arms AR15 armorer schedule/locations.

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Multiple armorer certifications

I am affiliated and work with SIONICS Weapon Systems in Tucson, AZ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What kind of barrel is it? And what profile. My wild guess is you have an over bored barrel. Its too big, like its almost shooting a shotgun.

I had a similar experience with a bolt gun.

Cheap skinny barrel?

55grain hornandy varmint is very accurate, try it.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-15-13 at 00:46.
    "1 to the Chest and 1 to the Head"

Feedback Score
    Well I'll try some shots with the federal ammo with a new scope mount and see the grouping in the morning but along the lines of ammo. I think I'll try some of my brothers custom loads. He shot 4 shots all into one hole with a Thompson center encore .223 28" barrel. The load was 25 gr. benchmark powder, 55 gr. nosler ballistic tip. C.o.l. 2.76. If anyone wants too try it out.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    A COL of 2.76" with a 55 gr. ballistic tip bullet?

Who would even want to try that with an AR15?

You need to buy some Gold Medal Match and see how that groups, or even better, have someone else who can shoot try out the rifle in question.

There really is a lack of information about your setup, as it relates to both the rifle and shooting posistion.

There can be a lot of fatigue introduced when shooting 10 round groups, especially if you are paced by your particular range due to when they call cease fires.

I would suggest firing 5 round groups, and averaging 4 together.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast