Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cop uses IPSC reload in a gunfight, somehow dosent get killed!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post
    Not in my experience. I am coming from the Mil side of the house, of course, but we teach both techniques and also stress when to employ each technique.

We primarily use tac reloads as a means to ensure we have ammo before taking decisive action:

-Before bounding during fire and movment, during gear check, it the weapon needs to be topped off
    -Before room clearing, if weapon needs to be topped off

Nothing like the sound of a weapon going "click", when you are expecting a "bang".
    In a military setting when your far from resupply I can understand and you have a dump pouch. For law enforcement I just don't see it unless the shooting is over. We have more ammo than we need generally and we don't have easy to use dump pouches.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score

Re: Cop uses IPSC reload in a gunfight, somehow dosent get killed!

Lets face it. 75% of cops dont care about guns or methods of using them. That 75% is what the training staff teaches to. The rest of us take classes else where or join the few tactical courses our agencies offer. That being said, my agencies teaches to dump, top off amd move on. I think if they tried to teach retaining the mag people would get connfused
    "Seriously?" -SWATcop556

"I don't think so" - Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Litpipe View Post
    Lets face it. 75% of cops dont care about guns or methods of using them. That 75% is what the training staff teaches to. The rest of us take classes else where or join the few tactical courses our agencies offer. That being said, my agencies teaches to dump, top off amd move on. I think if they tried to teach retaining the mag people would get connfused
    That is a training issue, not a technique issue.

The tac reload has its place, when used correctly.

In a military setting when your far from resupply I can understand and you have a dump pouch. For law enforcement I just don't see it unless the shooting is over. We have more ammo than we need generally and we don't have easy to use dump pouches.
    Just put the mag back in it's pouch, or your pant pocket. You don't need a dump pouch to do a tac reload.

Retaining the partial mag is useful in case the fight is protracted, but the key reason is to top off your gun before continuing a course of action likely to result in an engagement. If time and situation dictates, why not do it retain the mag?

If you are actively engaging a threat, I agree that expending the rounds in the magazine in the weapon, and then performing a speed reload, is the preferred method.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

That is a training issue, not a technique issue.

The tac reload has its place, when used correctly.

Just put the mag back in it's pouch, or your pant pocket. You don't need a dump pouch to do a tac reload.

Retaining the partial mag is useful in case the fight is protracted, but the key reason is to top off your gun before continuing a course of action likely to result in an engagement. If time and situation dictates, why not do it retain the mag?

If you are actively engaging a threat, I agree that expending the rounds in the magazine in the weapon, and then performing a speed reload, is the preferred method.
    Like paul said in the video, risking loosing a good shot or the ability to press the fight for a magazine is silly. It also might cause the fight to become protracted bc you are doing something else other then closing with and shooting. If you have the time? Sure, but that perception might change, in which, Id rather do a in battery reload and grab the othe rmag if it truly is clear.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Coming from the side of inexperience....

I think a speed reload is what I would do under stress of being shot at.

Though if its a situation where I cannot go back and retrieve all my mags I left on the floor, I may not do that. For if I am in a gun fight then the SHTF and I want to get the hell away from that situation where bullets are flying at me. To me the situation dictates my actions.
    Last edited by Zane1844; 03-16-13 at 10:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    Like paul said in the video, risking loosing a good shot or the ability to press the fight for a magazine is silly. It also might cause the fight to become protracted bc you are doing something else other then closing with and shooting. If you have the time? Sure, but that perception might change, in which, Id rather do a in battery reload and grab the othe rmag if it truly is clear.

sent from mah gun,using my sights
    Well, he does say that the battlefield dictates. If you are alone, sure, I agree with maintaining SA and staying with the target.

If not and I am part of a team/squad, I will strive to reload behind cover, displace to an alternate firing position and continue the fight from there.

Weapon manipulation has to be adapted to tactics being used. If I am able, I will shoot on the move to cover and continue the fight from there; I won't stop, shoot until slide lock/bolt lock and reload while standing.

I do practice it, so I am able to if it happens, but reloading totally exposed is something I try to avoid if I can help it.
    Last edited by Arctic1; 03-16-13 at 11:32. Reason: Clarity

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    Good stuff! Thanks for posting... Feed the gun, feed the gun, feed the gun... It's great to see LE using TTP's that not only work, but also save lives...

Feedback Score

1 thing to keep in mind while talking about this is the type of shootings most cops involved in. it's typically face to face within 10 feet at a traffic stop or domestic dial situation. the Christopher Dorner shooting was the exception not the rule.

that's not to say that you shouldn't be using tactics. I'm just saying that often times if I deserve with quickly. a reload is often done after the suspect is down laying at your feet.
    "Seriously?" -SWATcop556

"I don't think so" - Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    I did not say the technique used wasn't a valid one, or that a speed reload in lieu of a tac reload is a bad practice. My original point of contention was that tac reloads were over rated.
    Last edited by Arctic1; 03-16-13 at 11:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I would advocate pants pocket. We were always drilled that if you are pulling a mag off of your belt you know it will be a full mag.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast