Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cop uses IPSC reload in a gunfight, somehow dosent get killed!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Now that I've got out of the mil and went thru LE training, I realize a little of how silly it is to want to stuff a magazine in your pocket went your belt is full of crap, you cant get in your pockets. You'd have more luck doing the Bob Vogel wasteband stuff-it instead.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Whatever you do, do it fast.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    I know a few cops who are trained to drop mags so that investigators know where they reloaded.

Not saying its good or bad.
    That is the wrong reason for doing the right thing. You dump your magazine and replace it with a full one quickly, so you can keep your pistol up and running. You do not do it for the convenience of an investigator.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Especially when in the end the only thing that will matter to those investigators is WHAT you shot and WHY you shot it.
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    After watching how much time a Tac reload takes on this video I am convinced its bad to train for it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature...layer_embedded

I always here the tactical tommys telling me train like you fight so that when the SHTF your training kicks in rather than you just panicking and locking up not knowing what to do. Well if you're in a gun fight and need a bunch of ammo quick you better hope like hell that Tac reload training isn't the first reload method that kicks in cause you may not have time to use that extra two rounds you just spend 5 seconds sticking in your dump pouch.

A Tac reload to me is kinda common sense. If you aren't in serious immediate danger ie someone shooting at you then yeah top off your mags and keep the used ones on you.

Feedback Score
    Well, that video does NOT show the intended situation for a tac reload.

First, the "train like you fight" saying is a bit misused, in my experience. It has more to do with mindset than neccessarily gear or specific drills. It means that you shouldn't go half speed during training, if a real life situation requires full speed. It means that if a drill requires 6 shots to pass in a certain time frime, push it to 7 or 8 during practice.

If it was only specific to gear or drills, shooting El prez is a stupid drill, because who in their right mind would download the mag in their weapon to hold only six rounds?

Second, the whole "training kicks in" does not equate people turning into automatons, only capable of doing certain things. It is meant to reflect that what you know will be there, freeing up capacity to do other things like communicate, maintain SA, conduct movement etc. If you have no cognitive ability whilst taking fire, you are a liability. People who freeze up, who don't do anything, who fumble, most likely lack training.

Again, the tac reload has it's place when the situation allows.
    Last edited by Arctic1; 03-18-13 at 09:13.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post
    Well, that video does NOT show the intended situation for a tac reload.

First, the "train like you fight" saying is a bit misused, in my experience. It has more to do with mindset than neccessarily gear or specific drills. It means that you shouldn't go half speed during training, if a real life situation requires full speed. It means that if a drill requires 6 shots to pass in a certain time frime, push it to 7 or 8 during practice.

If it was only specific to gear or drills, shooting El prez is a stupid drill, because who in their right mind would download the mag in their weapon to hold only six rounds?

Second, the whole "training kicks in" does not equate people turning into automatons, only capable of doing certain things. It is meant to reflect that what you know will be there, freeing up capacity to do other things like communicate, maintain SA, conduct movement etc. If you have no cognitive ability whilst taking fire, you are a liability. People who freeze up, who don't do anything, who fumble, most likely lack training.

I agree with u completely.

I guess I should have called them internet warriors not tactical Tommy's. it's the guys that can't shoot or are afraid to shoot in front of others when a timer is present. Then they use the term tactical as an excuse why they don't compete or why they do something a certain way because they saw it on the Internet.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Cop uses IPSC reload in a gunfight, somehow dosent get killed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post

Edit:delete
    sent from mah gun,using my sights
    Last edited by theblackknight; 03-18-13 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    Just my two cents ,but tac reloads have their place as well as the standard taught at most academies now, but the secret in my opinion, and we all know what that's worth, is to practice your chosen style till you do in your sleep, after 42 years in blue I have seen every new style come down the pike,and get thrown into the game, those that survey are the ones who stay the course and use what works for them. I have seen the tac reload work in a shootout at a fast food joint, Officer went through 2 of the four mags of his 220 reload and stated he didn't remember doing the tac reload, but ended the problem and had a full mag in the gun.
    "A shot never fired is always a miss"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We taught tactical reloads when I was involved in firearms training at our agency and they do have their place in the training curriculum.

I also emphasized that if you bobble the tactical reload you should transition to a speed reload and not waste time crawling around on the deck trying to retrieve a magazine. It never failed that when I ran a training session, someone would bobble a tactical reload and revert to the speed reload. I did not criticize them if they kept their service weapon in working order.
    Last edited by T2C; 03-18-13 at 11:00.
    Train 2 Win

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast