Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M&P's slide stop disengaging

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe R. View Post
    Of course as Stephen said it could also be as simple as your inadvertently hitting the slide stop when your inserting the new magazine
    Joe & Stephen -
    Thanks for that reminder. I don't have that slide stop problem on my side of the pistol.
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

Feedback Score
    I must admit that I use this "feature" on all my Glocks (17, 22 and 27) when performing quick reloads. My M&P 45 does this with minimal force, though I can control it. Right or wrong, it works for me. My 1911 seems to have not come with this "feature".

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Every M&P I have ever handled has dropped the slide forward upon seating a magazine during a typical reload for me. This includes the two that I own, and four others that co-workers own.

Rarely when condiucting a reload the slide will not drop, but more often than not it will for me.

On page 17 of the M&P owners manual it states:

"WARNING: DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE UPWARD
    FORCE WHEN INSERTING A LOADED MAGAZINE
    INTO THE PISTOL. EXCESSIVE UPWARD FORCE
    COULD CAUSE THE SLIDE TO MOVE FORWARD,
    CHAMBERING A ROUND AND MAKING THE PISTOL
    READY TO FIRE."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_ATS View Post
    If the slide is dropping on an empty chamber, then you are more than likely inadvertently brushing the slide stop while manipulating the pistol for reloading. If it is dropping after the mag is inserted and a round is chambered then all you did was save yourself a second or two. I wouldn't worry about it, but YMMV.

It has happened once or twice with my M&P45 and fairly routinely with my Glock 34.

Stephen
    This might be the case. I'm going to buy some dummy rounds to test it out. If the slide consistantly chambers a round every time while going forward then everything is fine.

Can anyone recommend a smith to work on the M&P and glock 19?? I'm looking to change out the sights on both and changing out the mag release on the glock too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post
    Can anyone recommend a smith to work on the M&P and glock 19?? I'm looking to change out the sights on both and changing out the mag release on the glock too.
    Most any smith can peform these tasks. In fact, if you are handy (which I'm not), you can do them yourself.

If you want something else done (stippling, trigger work, etc) then David Bowie and Dan Burwell have both been highly recommended.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar 319 View Post
    I must admit that I use this "feature" on all my Glocks (17, 22 and 27) when performing quick reloads. My M&P 45 does this with minimal force, though I can control it. Right or wrong, it works for me. My 1911 seems to have not come with this "feature".
    YMMV, but I've seen many students and competitors rely on this "feature" only to have it fail at the worst possible time. While there are exceptions, usually an auto-forward is a sign you may be using much more force to insert the magazine than necessary. Apart from the possibility you could be accelerating wear on the gun, as a general rule more muscle exertion means less speed.

People think "if it doesn't go forward I'll just hit the slide release or rack the slide," but what really happens is that they expect the slide to auto-forward so they begin pressing the gun forward as soon as the mag seats. THEN they realize it didn't work. THEN they bring the gun back and look at it to figure out what's not working. THEN they drop the slide. THEN they press the gun back out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12