Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first AR and first build

Feedback Score

My first AR and first build

Hello,

I started a thread here a while back about this build but can't find it now. So here is a recap with a pic of the finished product. Not the best picture but it was the best of the ones I took.

Seekins Precision stripped lower receiver
    Stag lower receiver parts kit
    Geissele Super Semi Automatic trigger
    BCM Gunfighter pistol grip (black)
    Rainier Arms milspec buffer tube kit
    Magpul ACS (OD green)
    4 - PMAGs - 30 rounders (black)

BCM standard 16" mid-length upper receiver group
    BCM bolt carrier group
    BCM charging handle
    Magpul MOE mid-length hand guard (OD green)
    Troy Industries rear folding battle sight

I avoided extreme price gouging on the parts for this build, but I paid more than I liked. I wanted to get an AR soon though, just in case all the hub-bub in Washington isn't a bunch of posturing, and the panderers do pass some inane laws to make their constituents feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I found the upper assembly, bolt carrier group, and charging handle on gunbroker from a local guy and picked it up in person, saving shipping. I might have preferred a 14.5" barrel instead, but the upper group with the bolt carrier group was too tempting to pass up and I can live with the extra inch of length. Plus I am a Wisconsin native, so knowing all of my upper was made right here in my home state is great. And I got a BMC baseball cap with it, which I plan to wear next time I go visit friends in California. I'll just chuckle as I walk around in it.

The lower receiver was the best I could find for a price that wasn't completely outrageous. The buffer tube wouldn't screw into this at first; it was too tight. Once the finish was removed from the threads of the lower receiver and the buffer tube with a wire wheel brush they fit together, albeit snugly.

I got the Geissele because it is a Geissele.

I haven't ever shot an AR, so I don't know too much about stance and grip, but the BMC pistol grip sounded interesting, touted as good for a modern forward facing stance. With no experience, I figured the grip is probably as good as anything else and, as I mentioned, I like the fact BCM is here in WI.

I wanted the MOE handguard to keep weight down in the front and wanted the ACS for more positive cheek weld and a little more weight in the back of the rifle for balance. Storage in the stock is bonus. I wanted a two tone rifle, but thought maybe I should go classic all black. Then I read that two tones break up the outline of a rifle if someone is trying to spot you. I forsee little possibility of being in the woods on the run with my AR, but this little bit of practicality, added to my desire for a two tone, was enough to get me to go olive drab on my Magpul furniture.

I will eventually add an Aimpoint PRO red dot a quick detach mount. The Troy folding battle sight will be a BUIS, but I plan to co-witness the irons to the bottom third and practice with them, at least a little, each time I go shooting.

I probably will add a weapon light at some point, and may consider a vertical fore grip. My step brother saw action in Afghanistan and Iraq, and said he found the vertical grip easier any time he had to hold his rifle up for more than five minutes. My wrists are pretty bad and I can already tell this setup might be tough for me to shoot, so I probably will give a vertical fore grip a try.

I got this rifle because I like to shoot, and would like to learn how to shoot the premier modern combat rifle platform. I also want to be part of the amazing number of law abiding people with these weapons in the US, that will make sure that if the government would be leaning toward tyranny, they are going to have to think hard about how much it is worth it to go after their own people. I believe this is the spirit of the second amendment, and I support it.

I think that is about it. If you actually read all my ramblings, thanks. It was lots of fun, and not just too challenging to put this together. Suggestions and comments appreciated.
    Last edited by aerburns; 03-17-13 at 01:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My first AR and first build

Looks great man! I don't own troy sights, but it kinda looks like that rear folder might be on backwards...

Again, nice rifle.

Feedback Score
    Ha! So it is!

I wondered why it was taking up so much space on the rail. Good thing I didn't use any loctite yet, huh?

Well that's embarrassing...

Feedback Score
    Looks good, I have wanted to try the BCM grip on a new AR. How do you find the grip angle compared to the standard PG? Any comparison would be very helpful.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Looks good, I have wanted to try the BCM grip on a new AR. How do you find the grip angle compared to the standard PG? Any comparison would be very helpful.
    Ive got the Mod 0 and I don't even think about the different angle while shooting, it is definitely comfortable.

Feedback Score
    duece71,

This is my first AR so I won't have a point of reference on the grip. Nor have I gotten a chance to shoot this thing, as I have some torn ligaments in my elbow, and the weather has been horrid, and where in the world am I going to find ammo? The first two will pass, but I wish the suits in DC would finish soon with all their gun prohibition threats and then, hopefully, the panic will die down.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Excellent first AR.

You chose your parts well, and put together a very solid gun.

And before you go nutty on optics, nail using those irons proficiently first.

Great looking, high quality gun you put together.
    AMERICAN INFIDEL

Feedback Score
    Thanks, 5POINT56.

I plan to do that, if for no other reason than I don't have the cash immediately available for the red dot. But even if I did I would use the irons a good bit first.

After I get the red dot I will turn it off at some point, and do a couple groups with the irons every time I take it out, just to stay in practice.

Feedback Score
    does anyone know what barrel length is inside that 13.8" wilson combat hand guard below...? my guess is a 12.5" barrel... i like that seamless mating of the kx3 flash hider. thanks!

"And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do." -Christ Jesus, Luke 12

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by leeradio13 View Post
    does anyone know what barrel length is inside that 13.8" wilson combat hand guard below...? my guess is a 12.5" barrel... i like that seamless mating of the kx3 flash hider. thanks!

[IMG/IMG]
    WTF, why would you post this in a thread about someone else's build?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast