Thread: Several Newbie Questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Several Newbie Questions

I used to compete in smallbore as a kid. Never very good. Eventually girls were a better way to spend money than rifles.

Fast forward 40 years. Want to start shooting again.
    Bought a nice Ruger 40 and pump shotgun for immediate defense. Was going to wait on the AR until the current craziness settles down.

Was wandering through the gun store and there are a batch of S&W M&P 15 Sports for per-Newtown prices. Bought one.

First trip to the range was humbling. Had 2 jams in the first 12 rounds. Looks like an ammo problem. Stuff was local made. Put the Israeli stuff in, no problem. Old hands there suggested a 45 brush up the barrel. The front sight tool I bought, doesn't fit my sight. And most embarrassing, my middle aged eyes can't see the sights and the target well enough to sight in well for a 100yd zero.

1. What's the best way to adjust the front sight on this rifle? Pushing the pin in with a bullet and using pliers, seems bit rough on the equipment.

2. What tools should I have in my range bag to shoot this gun. Are there other ARs that need very different ones?

3. I think I can see well enough at 50 yds to sight in. I think I want to be about 2 in low with 3200 fps ammo. Then do the best I can at 100 and expect to hit around the middle. This about right?

4. To shoot well, I am going to need an optic. Seems like there are lots of reviews that like Primary Arms or Vortex. All the forums seem to say Eotech, Aimpoint or stick with BUIS. Hard to believe I need a $550 optic on a $700 rifle. Leaning Vortex Sparc. Am I wasting my money or risking my life?
    Last edited by Smitty79; 03-21-13 at 23:48.