Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: my bolt rifle in the works...

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the compliments everyone. Not much progress to report yet....

I've got the barreled-action at the gunsmith right now (AZEXARMS in Mesa, AZ) getting the headspace checked/set and getting the muzzle threaded. I was planning on doing the threading myself, but I just found out that during my companies recent move, someone lost the steady rest to the lathe

I've got the material in for the new, threaded FH and have written the programs to machine them, I just haven't had a chance to make any chips yet. I'm actually making two FH's for testing: one with LH helical slots and one with RH helical slots; both helix's are 1:10 to match the rifling. I wasn't sure which one would cancel the most flash so I just decided to make one of each.

I've been whittling away at the stock, but I really need to wait until I get the barreled-action back before I go any further. I've been using a floorplate from my standard 03A3 for fitting, but that's about as far as I can go.

I've already loaded up some standard loads for getting a basic zero: Hornady 168 BTHP's in front of 45gr. of 4895 in LC M118LR cases. I can't wait........

-WRM

Feedback Score
    Impressive work I must say sir, keep us informed when it gets back..

Feedback Score
    Just picked up the rifle from the 'smith last night. Since this is actually a test barrel, we ended up machining the "cone" or whatever it's called, into the breech and machining the extractor cut. Then, the threads had to be lengthened and re-reamed for headspace. Then I had him park everything.

Hopefully, I can start working on the stock and get it bedded in ~a week so I can start working up a few loads. Here's a few teasers:

-WRM

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Beautiful

That's some really excellent work.

I have always heard the best gunsmiths are good machinists. Can't wait to see the finished product, and its first test target.

Are you planning on bedding the action? If so, Acraglas or Marine-tex?

All the best,
    Alan
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    Thanks! I did get the stock inletted an extra 1/16" all around for bedding. I've never bedded a rifle before, so I hope I don't screw it up. I'm not sure what I'm going to use yet, but I was thinking of steel-bed from Brownell's. Is there any kit that's easier/better to use than others?

-WRM

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Bedding

I have used Acraglas and Marine-tex, and they both work.

Bedding rifles is not too difficult, but be sure to get access to a plunger gauge to determine how much movement you have on the guard screws when you put it all together. Preferrably, you want a reading before and after the bedding job.

Movement should be NO more than .010" on the guard screws for maximum accuracy.

I have seen as low as .001" with Marine Tex and .000" with Acraglas. Some guys are really great with bedding guns, but you will never learn unless you try it yourself. Based on your work we have already seen, there is no reason to think you cannot do it yourself. If you muck it all up, you can Dremel it and try again.

Buy some rubber tubing, pipe tape and plenty of Release Agent (or Pam spray). Mix up the goop, make sure you get it behind the barrel lug and guard screw bases, tie it up and let 'er dry...

Feel free to PM if you want prior to doing the bedding work and I will tell you what little I know...
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tips! I'll keep everyone posted...

-WRM

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That is some beautiful work right there!

There is a sporterized 03-A3 down at the pawn shop for $180 with a shot out barrel but I don't need any more projects right now.

Feedback Score
    Well crap; in the process of re-organizing my photobucket account, I accidentally broke all my links to the pics I previously posted...

But anyway, IT'S ALIVE!!!!

I got the bedding all done (used acraglass gell), and took it out for it's first run today. Not too shabby of a group considering:

1: These are the last 5 shots out of 15 that I've EVER fired out of this rifle
    2: The ammo used were some mild, run-of-the-mill reloads that I wanted to use to get the scope "close enough"

Now to find out what load it likes the best....

-WRM

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Oh my!!!

That turned out even better than I expected. Long live the '03!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast