Thread: Finished Grendel/VIS build

Feedback Score

Finished Grendel/VIS build

Been piecing this together for some time and am using it to work out how the TA31-M4 reticle matches up with the ballistics of various 6.5 projectiles. Balance is great and the Grendel runs like a charm through the Vltor VIS. Holds 1/2 MOA off a bag and makes hits out past 600 very easy.

Specs are as follows.

Magpul CTR OD with OD tube.
    Falcon delux Ergogrip
    AA tactical trigger
    Vltor VIS mid length
    Vltor Gas block
    Vltor 6.5 flash hider
    Satern 18" lightweight barrel with extended feed ramps
    MI low profile rear folding sight
    MI folding front sight
    ACOG 4x32 OD
    Tango Down vertical grip

Bill Alexander

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wow, that is one impressive rifle.

Very nice.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    First off let me tell you... what a beautiful rifle. I do have a question? Will there be any ejecting problems with the Vltor's ejection port or a Larue Stealth upper? Reason I ask is because I plan on building a 6.5G using these items.

1.Larue Stealth upper with M4 feed ramps
    2.Sun Devil lower
    3.Saturn 18in barrel
    4.Timney 4lbs trigger
    5.Magpul PRS Stock,trigger guard,Miad grip
    6.Larue 11in handguard
    7.Scope undecided, maybe you can help
    "An amature trains until he gets it right... A professional trains until he can't get it wrong" (Author unknown)

Feedback Score
    The LaRue stealth upper will be good and the M4 extensions into the reciever will match up with the barrel extensions that Satern is using for the Grendel barrels. The ramps are ever so slightly wider but the difference will be correct to stop the bullet nose catching if detectable at all. I did not have to touch the Vltor ejection port as there was plenty of clearance and generally find that good parts, made to spec work well with the Grendel. I run the AA uppers at max tolerance but only because I have to name a figure so why work into a potential problem.

I would go with a Gisselle trigger if I did not make my own, or a CMC I am not sure about the Timney stuff especially as I have seen people adding KNS pins as the regular ones are just held by friction, just my opinion.

What you look to be building is an SPR type. A scope would be the most appropriate so I would be looking for something in the 3-9 range. Leupold is obvious but I will upset many by saying that I think the Leupolds do not keep up with a barrel like the Satern. My choice Kahles Z-95 x6 fixed. steel tube with a 308 ranging reticle. You get Swarovski glass in a near unbreakable scope. Spend some time with the gun and a good load and you will be able to range and hold over near instictively to 600. Note of caution though, this is not a target rig do not expect to shoot bitty groups of the bench with the reticle. LaRue rings.

What I also note you are missing from you specs are the gas block, flash hider, sling and BUIS. I had the MI stuff so it went on. For a customer I would use the Troy sights. Match up you gas block and flash hider to make the gun flow and keep the weight off the gas block, this type of gun should shoulder to POA so the weight does not need to get pushed forward. Same with the flash hider. Slings, again I use the Unconventional Warfare Group stuff because I worked on the sniper sling. I would urge you to look at Blue Force as that stuff is good.

Bill Alexander

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Bill...Thank you so much for taking your time and helping me out with my future project. Really appreciate the reply.
    "An amature trains until he gets it right... A professional trains until he can't get it wrong" (Author unknown)