Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: DIY ultra portable/cheap steel target stand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm looking to get into the steel target game. I have a local line on some great targets (17x25 IDPA 1/2" AR500 cut w/ waterjet), but am trying figure out how to hang them. I don't have a portable range set up.

My question is: has anyone had any luck with a tri-pod system? I'm thinking of three chainlink, aluminum poles with another chain connecting the bottom of the target to the rear pole to give it the angle. Does anyone see a problem with this? Much thanks...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowandLeft View Post
    I'm looking to get into the steel target game. I have a local line on some great targets (17x25 IDPA 1/2" AR500 cut w/ waterjet), but am trying figure out how to hang them. I don't have a portable range set up.

My question is: has anyone had any luck with a tri-pod system? I'm thinking of three chainlink, aluminum poles with another chain connecting the bottom of the target to the rear pole to give it the angle. Does anyone see a problem with this? Much thanks...
    I have been well served by chainlink poles but in a saw horse configuration using 2 three way joints (allen set screws in the joints secure the pipe) you can get from farmtek. 4 legs and 1 crossmember. Drill holes in the crossmember for eyebolts and attach your plate using heavy duty chain and removable links. All parts are replaceable. I keep it all in usgi duffle bag for transport. The pipe gets shot sometimes but you can file down the sharp exit holes and they stay structurally sound.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    About $60 worth of 1" black pipe and some elbows and T's. The legs will unscrew for easy transport if necessary.

This inspired me to do the same, but I tried to get away with smaller pipe. Mine has to fit in the back of an SUV and be easy to setup/break down since I can't leave it at the range.

I used 1/2" pipe. Each side of legs is a 10' cut in half. For the cross piece, I figured 10' was more than I needed to hang 6 8" plates, so I had 1' cut off and then the remaining 9' cut in half for better portability and have a coupler in the middle. It works...but I'd be happier if it sagged less. This first setup was sort of a rushed prototype, and I used rope instead of chain. I figured the plates and chains I intend to use are going to weigh at least 40lbs.

Anyone else who's done this, I'm curious if 3/4" for the cross piece would get rid of the sag, or do I need to go all the way to 1"?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I'm a huge fan of DIY solutions.... But, this guy Has it figured out brilliantly!

Feedback Score
    I found those in my searching for a solution. The problem with those is I can't easily transport a pair of 9' rebar sections and I don't want 2 or more smaller plate racks. Is there a way to temporarily join sections of rebar to form a longer span without introducing lots of sag?

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Here is my setup.
    Last edited by jnr4817; 09-28-14 at 15:28. Reason: Added pic

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by njl View Post
    This inspired me to do the same, but I tried to get away with smaller pipe. Mine has to fit in the back of an SUV and be easy to setup/break down since I can't leave it at the range.

I used 1/2" pipe. Each side of legs is a 10' cut in half. For the cross piece, I figured 10' was more than I needed to hang 6 8" plates, so I had 1' cut off and then the remaining 9' cut in half for better portability and have a coupler in the middle. It works...but I'd be happier if it sagged less. This first setup was sort of a rushed prototype, and I used rope instead of chain. I figured the plates and chains I intend to use are going to weigh at least 40lbs.

Anyone else who's done this, I'm curious if 3/4" for the cross piece would get rid of the sag, or do I need to go all the way to 1"?
    A friend saw my sagging rack and made a replacement top rail out of 1" pipe. It's two pieces with a joint in the middle and size reducers at the ends so it can still use my 1/2" pipe legs. He also welded hooks into the "rail" and I replaced the rope with the chains I'd always meant to use. With the 1" pipe, there's no noticeable sag.

Feedback Score

3 minute target setup

I think this design accomplishes all of the goals set forth in the beginning of the thread..... except it cost 45. instead of 20.

EXTREMELY portable as the video shows
    EXTREMELY reliable.... no shoot downs because all the hangers and supports are protected by the steel plate
    NO WELDS
    LIGHT WEIGHT
    DURABLE

If you need a target to place in a remote area that needs to be packed into this is the system

Last edited by vinconco; 10-31-14 at 10:37.

Feedback Score

3 minute target setup

This video shows the targets being shot and how they react.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414815120.310496.jpgthis is what I am using. Three 6 foot sticks of rebar from the scrap pile and a piece of chain I had laying around. It is very portable and easy to fix if somebody gets crazy and hits a leg. The target is 3/8 AR-500.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast