Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY ultra portable/cheap steel target stand

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    around here people are all using fire hose to hang steel...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post

Hey guys, another installment of my DIY themed threads, this time around it's making an ultra portable/cheap steel target stand on the super cheap.

Goal:

Create a longer term steel target stand solution focusing heavily on three aspects.

A. It must be incredibly portable, in order to be humped into LR shooting locales vs. drive up shooting ranges.

B. Must be able to be constructed very easily, or with very minimal effort, tools, and time invested in the DIY process.

C. The overall cost of the finish product must be on the super cheap....for me the definition of super cheap is around $20 or less.

I'll be overall brief here, since the video hopefully will portray the general idea better than I can by typing it.

DIY: Ultra portable/cheap steel target stand

I'll be happy to elaborate on anything, or answer any particular questions for those interested.

You know how you know that you're getting old? When you look at the pics of this target stand system and you say to yourself, "that is really cool, brilliant even". Then you notice the cast iron garden seat and think, "wow, that's worth some bucks. With just a little paint....."

Feedback Score

Re: DIY ultra portable/cheap steel target stand

This is some great stuff. Thank you for sharing it. I just have one question. Is there any place you guys recommend going to for the plates them selves.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdog View Post
    This is some great stuff. Thank you for sharing it. I just have one question. Is there any place you guys recommend going to for the plates them selves.

http://www.custommetalprod.com/shoot...-23-size-torso
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Is there any place you guys recommend going to for the plates them selves.
    We have always purchased the round gongs in 1/2 inch AR500 steel from Quality Targets. These have all stood up well to .223 and M193 from 50 yards over tens of thousands of rounds.

One thing about AR500 steel...you need to pay attention to how some places cut it. Some of the "bargain" target makers will use a regular plasma cutter which will cause the steel to lose its temper around the edges, in turn making it susceptible to nicks and gouges with higher potential for ricochet. This is less of an issue if cut with and underwater plasma rig.
    Last edited by Hmac; 04-26-13 at 08:10.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    We have always purchased the round gongs in 1/2 inch AR500 steel from Quality Targets. These have all stood up well to .223 and M193 from 50 yards over tens of thousands of rounds.

One thing about AR500 steel...you need to pay attention to how some places cut it. Some of the "bargain" target makers will use a regular plasma cutter which will cause the steel to lose its temper around the edges, in turn making it susceptible to nicks and gouges with higher potential for ricochet. This is less of an issue if cut with and underwater plasma rig.
    Thank you very much for the info.

Feedback Score
    bigdogsteel is the place to go for econoline silhouettes and stuff. the reactive headhunters are awesome targets.

if you look in the 'group buy" classified section of most firearms forums you will find a user jcvibby or something like that who has a boys ranch in the northwest that sells good basic squares, circles at a very good price and the proceeds benefit the ranch.

if you're looking for plate racks, dueling trees and especially hostage targets, go to action targets

i've spent thousands of dollars with each of these and been 100% happy.
    Last edited by taliv; 04-27-13 at 14:58.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I get mine from wideners.

Feedback Score

For my gong I used chain link fence pipe I had laying around and farm shelter 3 way joint fittings from farmtek that use allen set screws to attach to the pipe. In the cross piece I drilled holes for eyebolts and used heavy duty chain from home depot to hang the gong. Rifle hits will go through the pipe but I just file down the sharp edges of any exit holes. Pistol rounds will dent it. All parts are replaceable, fairly inexpensive, and break down and go into a GI duffle bag for transport. The fittings are very durable and don't expose the allen set screws. My AR500 plate was cut in a shape that has its own built-in hooks, so no extra attachment hardware is needed on the plate itself.
    Last edited by B52U; 06-09-13 at 22:52.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Is 1/4" AR500 steel strong enough for 5.56 @ 100+ yards?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast