Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting disturb/scare off wildlife?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Not at all!
    This.

Feedback Score
    I treat my property as a deer sanctuary. When the neighbors are shooting, the deer stay on my grounds. We took a 14 pt and a 10 pt on consecutive Thanksgiving mornings.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I believe that would depend on how close you are located to a town and how use to people the game has become. I target shoot on my property weekly and I see deer, squirrels and birds every day.

The deer on my property are brazen. For example, I fired 80 rounds out of my M1 Garand and before I was finished cleaning up my brass the deer were already walking out of the woods by my target stand.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies, lot's of good information!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Shooting disturb/scare off wildlife?

I was at the rifle range last week and there were several of us on the 100 yd line firing away. Suddenly a cease fire was called as there were three deer sauntering across the field of fire.

Yet, on opening day the deer in wild areas are GONE. I don't think it is the noise that bothers them, but being pursued.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Deer know where Man should and should not be. When Man is where he shouldn't be they are harder to find.

Feedback Score
    Animals can get used to the noise if they are subject to it enough.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here we have to chase the deer off the range because they stand right in front of the targets. They will walk right in front of you while you're shooting too.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Your best bet is to set up your range on one side of the property and let them establish their "sanctuary" (which needs cover, water, and food) on the opposite side of the property. Give them that area and do not enter it other than to plant food sources. Don't even go there to hunt them. We have used this method (which is promoted by the QDMA and Whitetail Properties) on the area where I hunt and have been successful. 80 acres is more than enough for them to disregard your active range when in their "sanctuary".
    "These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    It has never bothered our wildlife. We normally shoot alot too.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast