Thread: Medium and heavy size game bullet ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Medium and heavy size game bullet ?

I am currently getting everything setup to start reloading for my 308. I am also looking at loading a bullet that would be great for both deer and elk sized game. I have been looking at the barnes tsx and the nosler accubond, both in 165g but I'm not sure if I might need a 180g for elk sized game or not. I am putting in for elk for the first time this year and if I get a tag, I would not want to waste it on the animal getting away. I hate losing an animal that I have shot. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Also the reason I am looking at just sticking with the 165g, and not loading 165s for deer and 180's for elk is that way I don't have to keep re-zeroing my rifle, unless this is what I will have to do.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    a 165 bonded from a .308 would do well on elk provided the distance was not excessive. what type of hunting do you anticipate?..
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    It is mostly going to be hills type hunting with very few longer range shots. Some hunting in flatter plains areas from time to time but honestly I do not feel comfortable enough in my skills to shoot maybe more than 300 yds on game animals right now. Hopefully with more practice in the future I can get there, but don't want to risk wounding an animal and losing them.

Feedback Score

165 Bonded or partition

The very best all around performance will be found with a bonded or partition bullet. The great majority of my hunting was done in that fashion.

Last edited by 308sako; 04-16-13 at 11:40.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Whats the twist rate on your rifle? I would consider lots of bullets Sierra SBT, AMAX, ACCUBOND, VLD, PARTITION, SARRICO, TTSX if your max range is 300 meters, bullet weight is not really a factor. Given the modern designs we have today the only considerations to bullet weight I would have is felt recoil at 300m.

Given that what I'm saying is choose a quality bullets and base the weight factor on your twist rate and how well the rifle performs with the bullets you have available, choose the one that shoots the best.

I personally have hunting rounds loaded with, AMAX, ACCUBLOND,VLD, and TTSX/
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    I believe it is a 1/12 twist rate, I shoot 165's in it now with decent grouping. I have yet to load any rounds for it to try and find out what my rifle likes. I was just looking at 165's because that is just what I have put through that rifle. I just like that accubonds and that tsx. I am not apposed to looking into something different that would get the same results with better accuracy.