Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Build... Here goes nothing...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KustomFalcon View Post
    I've gotta say this:

Locally, my shooting community is great. They all do what they can to get firearms into the hands of as many good people as possible, and go out of their way to help however they can. They're welcoming and humble, especially those LEO's that take part in growing the community.

On the other hand, this forum has a significant amount of arrogance and hubris. A number of us getting into the world of defense rifles, have done so at a time that has been entirely inconvenient, and wildly difficult, and expensive to help reinforce the fight for 2A rights against covertly tyrannical A-holes in Washington, and because of the fun of shooting and training. We didn't all have the luxury of paying a relatively nominal price for a Colt complete, or "high end" lower. I bought two FMK lowers for a number of reasons, availability not withstanding. Without getting into specifications, it's not a terrible product, but what us noobs don't need are a group of high and mighty marksmen telling us we have crappy equipment. I had a range master shake his head at me because I have a PSA carbine. I built it, I paid for it, I did a damn fine job, and it puts holes in targets. Frankly, I'm disappointed this community is not more welcoming considering we're increasing the shooting the population, and dumping thousands of dollars into the gun lobby (personally: NRA lifer, GOA member, Calguns donor). But, to each his own, I guess.

Sent from my Motorola brick phone
    Thanks man, There will always be mil-spec snobs out there; no hard feelings to those guys. Those are people who take extreme pride in what they do. As a former serviceman, I was not afforded the opportunity to get that deep into the nuts and bolts of the AR15/M16 series rifles, so I'm seeking those aspects out now in my spare time. Sure; a Colt or DPMS would be nice but like you said; availability is the key word here. As long as it reliably puts holes in paper and bad guys alike, I really can't ask for more.
    Last edited by Gauss Rifle; 04-18-13 at 18:07.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

My first Build... Here goes nothing...

On the other hand, this forum has a significant amount of arrogance and hubris. A number of us getting into the world of defense rifles, have done so at a time that has been entirely inconvenient, and wildly difficult, and expensive to help reinforce the fight for 2A rights against covertly tyrannical A-holes in Washington, and because of the fun of shooting and training. We didn't all have the luxury of paying a relatively nominal price for a Colt complete, or "high end" lower. I bought two FMK lowers for a number of reasons, availability not withstanding. Without getting into specifications, it's not a terrible product, but what us noobs don't need are a group of high and mighty marksmen telling us we have crappy equipment. I had a range master shake his head at me because I have a PSA carbine. I built it, I paid for it, I did a damn fine job, and it puts holes in targets. Frankly, I'm disappointed this community is not more welcoming considering we're increasing the shooting the population, and dumping thousands of dollars into the gun lobby (personally: NRA lifer, GOA member, Calguns donor). But, to each his own, I guess.

Listen man, my lowers are LRB or PSA stripped. Nothing fancy. But they're made of metal and they work. My 12" SBR upper is actually also from PSA. 80-90% of all other parts on my guns were used. Stocks, optics, mounts, uppers, rails, etc. All used. Buying the right shit for the job doesn't make one a snob.

Yea the market sucks, but there's stuff out there. Recently put together a 14.5. Between Armslist, the EE, and eBay...no problem. Took a week to source parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss Rifle View Post
    Thanks man, There will always be mil-spec snobs out there; no hard feelings to those guys. Those are people who take extreme pride in what they do. As a former serviceman, I was not afforded the opportunity to get that deep into the nuts and bolts of the AR15/M16 series rifles, so I'm seeking those aspects out now in my spare time. Sure; a Colt or DPMS would be nice but like you said; availability is the key word here. As long as it reliably puts holes in paper and bad guys alike, I really can't ask for more.
    I understand man, and I didn't mean to come off as a dick. Just saying you've got a good 22 going - stick with that, maybe swap uppers, and drive on. All I was saying is that, over time, I think you'll regret a 223/5.56 with the parts you listed.
    Last edited by munch520; 04-18-13 at 19:16.

Feedback Score

Re: My first Build... Here goes nothing...

You misunderstood me. I don't mean arrogance because what you have is nice, rather what other people have that's not to everyone else's standard. I'm not singling this thread out, I've seen it over and over: "You should get rid of that and get a ____ that isn't a POS..." if a poly lower is what can be had now, build it. It's not going to crumble on you, and if it is, ask Glock what kind of fairy dust they put in their polymer compound.

I'm for everybody getting what they can afford in order to strengthen gun owner's position in this country.

Feedback Score
    No harm done guys, In all actuality, the time until I get sick of my current build won't be for quite a while, as I have very limited experience with ARs/M16s. In training, I hit the targets and qualified for watch so they strapped a rifle on my back and said "go patrol..." End of story.

So now, I have to learn about these rifles as if I'd never touched/fired one before. I was operating under the 'any gun is better than no gun' mindset when I bought this thing. When I finally pull the trigger (pun intended) on a PSA upper, that will be my SHTF/I mean business rifle.

Meanwhile, I can test the durability of my NFA lower and see if anyone other than glock can make a decent polymer gun.

Feedback Score

I'm very happy with the PSA upper and lower I bought. I never put the FMKs together but I also read good reviews.

Sent from my Cessna

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

My first Build... Here goes nothing...

There are quite a few firearms that are supported by polymer. Have been for years. It's not like any combustion happens in the lower. I've built 2 NFA lower guns for a couple of folks and they seemed to be good to go. 6 months later and they are still going strong. I say drive it till the wheels fall off of it. If you do plan to shoot 5.56, you may want to at least get a more robust optic. One that will last you a while. Those Chinese ones don't like to live long. I'm for one am very glad to have more folks on board with the 2nd amendment. Power in numbers. Welcome to the AR world, you'll figure it all out in time.

While some folks lack the Tact that most of us typically have, they do mean well. The whole buy once, cry once thing has been learned the hard way by most of us. While new to this forum, I'm not even remotely new to the M4. Been shooting since I was 6. You learn a thing or two after almost 30 years. Especially when 8 of those were spent wearing an M4 for my uncle.

Having said that, I like the Daniel Defense line of "AR" rifles (got 2 of em). I started off my shooting career with a red rider followed by an old tube fed .22 caliber marlin. You gotta start somewhere. Good luck and have fun!

Feedback Score

Scrubber3 Thank you. Very well articulated. If I could find more DD product, I'd be all over it.

Sent from my iPhone 37

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Gauss Rifle; Sure; a Colt or DPMS would be nice but like you said; availability is the key word here. As long as it reliably puts holes in paper and bad guys alike, I really can't ask for more.[/QUOTE]

Colt and DPMS don't belong in the same sentence. Shit can the NFA along with the DPMS receiver. You'll thank me later...
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    Colt and DPMS don't belong in the same sentence. Shit can the NFA along with the DPMS receiver. You'll thank me later...
    While you're at it, off your grandmother - she's just weighing you down. And seriously, get a new car, yours is a POS, and you won't fit into our social club. You'll thank me later.

That's the kind of bloated BS I'm talking about. Yeah, DPMS and NFA aren't DD, but when he pulls the trigger, it fires. You ought to read two posts up, that's what decency looks like.

Sent from my inferior rifle
    Last edited by KustomFalcon; 04-19-13 at 09:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While you're at it, off your grandmother - she's just weighing you down. And seriously, get a new car, yours is a POS, and you won't fit into our social club. You'll thank me later.

That's the kind of bloated BS I'm talking about. Yeah, DPMS and NFA aren't DD, but when he pulls the trigger, it fires. You ought to read two posts up, that's what decency looks like.

Sent from my inferior rifle
    Typical new member reply...
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast