Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Accessory

Feedback Score
    levik97
    I am wondering what accessory I should get for it first.
    Buy the rifle... then move out of Colorado. Of course, that should be first on your list before you buy the rifle...

Spyder

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Ammo and mags are a given as well as training. Talking about acutual accessories I would start with a good sling and a good light and mount. From there shoot it a bunch and see what works for you and what doesn't. Optics are a good investment once you get proficient with irons. You may find that you want to swap out the grip and/or stock for something else. Perhaps an upgraded charging handle or different safety selector switch or ambi controls. Alot of these decisions will be based on personal preference. A good sling and a good light and mount are the only "neccessary" upgrades IMO. Everything else is just fine tuning and gravy.
    "The only defense against violent evil people are good people who are more skilled at violence" - Rory Miller

Feedback Score
    1. Ammo
    2. Geiselle SSA or SSA-E trigger
    3. Sling
    4. Optics
    5. Training/Practice

Other accessories can be added as you decide the end use of your rifle (3 gun, varmint/predator hunting, target shooting-long or short range,
    home defense, etc).

You have made an excellent choice in rifles.

Enjoy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by levik97 View Post
    Haha I don't actually have it yet. I'll be working my ass off to get it though. Also, I'm trying to get mags and ammo now before the Colorado ban so hopefully that will be covered. As for training, I can shoot an AR-15 well and I don't have the funds in the foreseeable future for an actual class and NE Colorado doesn't have a whole lot of choices for classes anyway. Also, I probably won't get all of the accessories for a year or so.

Levi
    Considering you are a fellow Calirado resident I would recommend you get AS MANY MAGS AS POSSIBLE before July 1. HB1224 is going to rain on your parade. PM me with your approximate location or post it and I can tell you where to stock up. Also, you can sign up for the Boulder Airlift from Magpul.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

-C S Lewis

Feedback Score
    Magazines first, then ammo. Without those two, your rifle is nothing more than a club/bat.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    another vote for the sling next

that is of course post ammo and shooting that ammo. Be sure to have more than enough magazines as well. 5 may seem like a lot, but 10 would be better. Think of them as pairs of socks, they get dirty, they wear out, some faaster than others, but either way you hate it when you run out. you can continue to wear dirty socks, (use dirty mags), but you risk infected feet (infected, non-functioning carbine). bth easily avoidable. so keep as many as you can afford and as many as you can fit in yor "sock drawer"

Lights and red dots are nice, and you will likely pursue those next as you continue to shoot.

grips are easy to replace and not as expensive, so that might be close to the top of the list just because. look at magpul or hogue for a new grip.

a new trigger should be far down the line. only change it if you absolutely cannot stand your stock trigger. DD should have a good trigger in there from the beginning though. Just remember, if you change your trigger, you might be learning the gun all over again with the breaking point and reset point of a new trigger.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Spyder View Post
    levik97

Buy the rifle... then move out of Colorado. Of course, that should be first on your list before you buy the rifle...

I'm only 16 so that isn't really possibility as of now. I'm planning on moving to Wyoming and going to college in Laramie when I'm 18. As for mags, all my income before July 1 will being going for them. I'll be signing up for the Boulder Airlift program ASAP too. Also, with mags and ammo, those are a given and I don't really consider them accessories but parts of the rifle itself. Luckily, I'm not far from Cabelas in Sidney so that is one place I can get mags. BTW Thanks to every one who gave input, you've been very helpful.

Levi
    Last edited by levik97; 04-19-13 at 11:54.
    "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Definitely mags first. I'm sure pre-ban mags will be plentiful in the border states, but better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't stock up on ammo now, unless you find a seriously good deal (brass cased, 223/556 <=.60/round).

I thought the V3 came with a rear site?

A sling w/ a QD attachment like the Magpul MS3 Single QD and their RSA mount for running it 2-point as desired.

Quality training.

Vote in 2014.
    Last edited by mrvco; 04-19-13 at 12:16.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Sights and lights.
    You cant hit what you can't aim at, and you can't aim at what you can't see, and if you can't ID your target, you don't know what you're aiming at.

Kind of like asking what you should get for your car first: brakes, throttle, headlights, instrument panel, steering wheel, radio, leather seats, larger fuel tank, or phone charger. There are specific parts that are essential for use, and others that are nice to have.

light>sling
    sights>lights (daylight)
    sights=lights (darkness)
    ammo>AFG
    sling>AFG

Ammunition and training are essential to know what these pieces actually do and how to work around issues.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    What everyone else has already said. AMMO and Mags. These two items are things that every gun MUST HAVE (Yes I know sights are essential, getting to that).
    You already have iron sights, so get mags and ammo first and go shooting with it. I doubt you are going to do low light shooting on your first run so I don't think a light is a MUST HAVE for right now. As you shoot, figure out what you are liking more ie run and gun or long range stuff. This will impact if you want a RDS or a Scope. This will then help you if you want a AFG or a bipod and so on and so forth.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast