Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Accessory

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The very first thing I do with a new gun is replace the A2 grip. In my opinion, it makes a rifle damn near un-shootable. After that, I'd say you need a sling and boatloads of ammo. Hold off on an optic until you've learned to be proficient with iron sights.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    Wait, so you havent even got the gun yet, and are even a ways out from getting it, and you are already worried about what stuff to put on it? Get the gun first, shoot the hell out of it, then figure what stuff you want/need to add. Sounds simple to me. Daydreaming about what crap you can bolt on a gun you dont even own yet doesnt make much sense to me.

Remember, you will need mags and ammo before the gun is even worth anything, so that would be my first purchase ordeal.

From there, go down the list of what you feel you need once shooting it.
    From TOS ... "buy the shit out of that thing, all the mil spec is just nonsense."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just grab a vcas/vtac sling, light, mags, ammo, rd of your choice. Then drive the stick at some training courses.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    With ammo and mags as a no-brainer, the first "accessory" should IMO be a sling. You can do a search or look around locally and seek as much hands on, info and recommendations as you can. I say sling because it is a very necessary item for which you dont have a start point. You have sights, stock, grip, handguard to work with but no sling (at least not a useful one). All these other items are a matter of needs and ergonomics which should be based on your experiences shooting the carbine, your environment and an honest assessment of what you want this carbine for (HD/SD, range toy, etc. ) If you find that the A2 grip is actually uncomfortable while shooting it, then study the options and change it.

For a sling I recommend a VCAS or VTAC. Both are very popular and I feel there is a reason for that so I consider them a good starting point. If you decide you dont like either, they usually sell quick.
    Last edited by sgtrock82; 04-20-13 at 20:57.

Feedback Score
    I don't consider sights an accessory, so...

Grip and VFG of some sort. For me, I find it important to feel comfortable with my rifle, and you can get both for under $50 total. Although you might try 2-3 before you settle for one.

You'll want to shoot it a few times before even thinking about what you want. It will help you narrow down what you like and don't like.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Well, everyone's already pretty much nailed it, but I might as well pile on-

As you're in CO, GET MAGS!!!
    Then get ammo (if you can actually find any)- get a damn lot of it.
    While you're doing that you should get a sling- I'm personally partial to the VCAS Padded. You need this because sometimes you need to let go of your rifle to do other stuff (and thangs... ) like transitioning to a pistol. And carrying the thing around all day can suck.

AFTER you have those three things, the very next thing you should get is a better grip- the A2 F'ing sucks monkey balls. An MOE/MOE+, or one of BCMs new grips should be at the top of the list.
    After the grip, you should seriously think about investing in a BCM Gunfighter charging handle- you wouldn't think it, but it makes a HUGE difference.

Don't even bother worrying about the irons- a DD V3 will have iron sights, and they work just dandy- I actually own one of these rifles (as do many others here). And since you're not plannig to mount a scope, you really don't need flip sights.

Along with fixing the above ergonomic issues, you should get a light if you have any intentions of every using this rifle seriously. I see you've aready run across Elzetta- I actually have one of their lights strapped to my rifle with a Gear Sector mount (which I highly recommend you check out for it's simplicity and ergos/weight). It's quite nice for the money. Failing that, there's always Surefire- if you get the V3, you will have a rail, so you could also mount an X300/X300Ultra if you want- a lot of folks like that approach.

You're optic is GTG- probably what I'd get after the above items are squared away. You should really shoot a bit with your irons first- especially at a class where you can do work with rapid target transitions. This will help you become familiar with them, plus, it will make you appreciate that RDS SO much more afterwards.....

After that, if so needed you could change out the stock- If you like the MOE stock, than keep it- it's a great stock. I don't like it, and got an ACS, which IMO is most excellent. The new ACS versions as well as the Sopmod/B5 are great as well if you want a better cheek weld/feel.
    A few rail covers wouldn't hurt either- I like a combo of the XTMs and Larue Clips. Nothing wrong with ladders or panels though.
    The vert grip that comes with the V3 should be more than sufficient, unless you're looking for something else specific.

That's all.
    I will say, if you're just planning to get the rifle because it's some cool thing you can tacticool out to show off to all your buddys, please don't even bother- just let someone else who actually is planning to use it buy the thing.
    Of course seeing as how you're here, I'm hoping that's not the case.

Oh, one last thing- if you get the DD V3, be sure to check the allen set screws on the rail for tightness (don't strip them). My V3 came a little loose out of the box and needed a quick tightening.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 04-20-13 at 23:22.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Ammo and good mags are a necessity, not really accessories.

Your DD should already come with a set of fixed sights I'd imagine. Otherwise yes the DD fixed irons are the cats meow.

After that get a good sling, VCAS comes to mind. Like previously mentioned, its like a holster for a handgun.

After that a good light. Also, like previously mentioned, you need to know what you are shooting at.

Red Dot of some sort is the last thing I'd put on there. If it came down to a class/ammo vs a red dot for my money it would be the training.
    +1 on this. A light & a sling are top of the list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    That's all. I will say, if you're just planning to get the rifle because it's some cool thing you can tacticool out to show off to all your buddys, please don't even bother- just let someone else who actually is planning to use it buy the thing.
    Of course seeing as how you're here, I'm hoping that's not the case.
    Haha thanks for the input. No, I don't want to buy the rifle just to be tacticool. I want it because I've been shooting ARs for quite a while now but never had one and I really just love them. Also, the reason I included the mention of getting the DD rear sight is because I'll actually probably build the lower and put a V3 upper on it and I'm not sure if they come with a sight. I just said I was getting the rifle because I figured it wouldn't matter that much anyway. Also, like I said before, all money I have before July 1 will be going towards magazines. I am going to sign up for the Boulder Airlift and I might try and order a 10 pack of mags after that from BCM as they've been in stock lately (at least last I saw).

Levi
    "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by levik97 View Post
    Haha thanks for the input. No, I don't want to buy the rifle just to be tacticool. I want it because I've been shooting ARs for quite a while now but never had one and I really just love them. Also, the reason I included the mention of getting the DD rear sight is because I'll actually probably build the lower and put a V3 upper on it and I'm not sure if they come with a sight. I just said I was getting the rifle because I figured it wouldn't matter that much anyway. Also, like I said before, all money I have before July 1 will be going towards magazines. I am going to sign up for the Boulder Airlift and I might try and order a 10 pack of mags after that from BCM as they've been in stock lately (at least last I saw).

Levi
    I see. No problem then.

As far as the V3 upper, I don't know where you're planning to order from, but you may be right about it coming with no rear sight- I helped a relative build an AR a while back and he used a V3 upper, and had to order a rear sight seperately.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Well hopefully by the time I get my lower built I can at least backorder one. Then again, LPKs are hard to find too. Maybe after July 1 they will be more available. Wishful thinking probably but I hope not.

Levi
    "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast