Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sealant between carrier and key?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a NIG colt BCG that has goop dripping out.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I have a NIG colt BCG that has goop dripping out.
    That's NAM juice.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

Sealant between carrier and key?

When building hundreds of BCGs at LMT we never used anything on keys just bolt and stake, and that's what I still go by and never had any issues.
    Former LMT test/ assembly/ machinist
    Former Rock Island Arsenal / machinist

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by koniz View Post
    When building hundreds of BCGs at LMT we never used anything on keys just bolt and stake, and that's what I still go by and never had any issues.
    Shocking that a company who used MIM gas keys at one point would also not seal.

LMT cuts a lot of corners and that's why I don't use any of their products in critical areas.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been repairing AR-15s for several years and did not know I was suppose to be using sealant. They did not mention it when I went through armorer school and I haven't seen an issue caused by not using sealant.

The machining looked pretty rough on some of the M-16s our agency received from the Department of the Army. You have to wonder if the parts were not as precise or fit as well when Colt published you should use sealant.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score

Outstanding good for u markm
    Last edited by koniz; 04-29-13 at 11:15.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by koniz View Post
    Outstanding good for u markm
    Thanks... I mean... people like the stuff, but why bother when you can get BCM for equal or less money, and it's done to spec. Makes zero sense to me.

Feedback Score

You do have a point

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I have been repairing AR-15s for several years and did not know I was suppose to be using sealant. They did not mention it when I went through armorer school and I haven't seen an issue caused by not using sealant.
    Most people don't know it. And if the surfaces are smooth, it's not an absolute must.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Shocking that a company who used MIM gas keys at one point would also not seal.

LMT cuts a lot of corners and that's why I don't use any of their products in critical areas.
    You say LMT cuts corners, but have you ever seen a catastrophic failure from an LMT gun as the result of their manufacturing techniques?

I understand your sentiments, but like KAC not using HPT, in LMT's case it seems to work well. (Especially considering that their Enhanced bolt was the only one that survived the military trial.)
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast