Thread: 5.56 barrel with larger caliber muzzle bevice

Feedback Score

5.56 barrel with larger caliber muzzle bevice

Hi all,

So recently, as part of my current build, I purchased from AR Performance a 16" barrel chambered in .223 Wylde. Overall I'm very happy with the specs of the barrel and I have complete confidence that it will serve me well. However, interestingly enough, it is threaded 5/8-24. When I made the purchase I was fully aware of this and of the fact that it is not the industry standard for 5.56. In hopes of keeping the thread on topic I won't go into why they thread the barrel this way if you'd like to know more on that you can go to their website, they also discuss it more in depth on some of the 6.8 sites/forums seeing as thats their specialty. But anyways, I'm wondering if I were to install perhaps a 6.8 break/comp or even a 7.62...would the muzzle device function as is should? And if not, is it possible to have a 5.56 muzzle device re-threaded? Re-threading the barrel is (I believe) not possible as it is melanite treated. In retroscpect, at the time I didn't think that the barrel not being threaded 1/2-28 would be that much of a setback...but I've been putting a lot of thought into it recently and these 2 questions keep coming back to me. Thank you for reading and I look forward to hearing your thoughts
    Last edited by potentmix; 04-26-13 at 00:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What kind of muzzle device are you specifically looking into? Flash hider, muzzle brake or compensator?

I imagine a flash hider would still work just fine.

A compensator or muzzle brake might not.

Only way to inow for sure is to try it out really. Buy from Brownell's so you can return it if it doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. All a comp is designed to do is direct the pressure to offset natural muzzle rise. Never heard of them being specifically designed for a certain caliber.
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This has been covered before. Search button.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You could try contacting Battlecomp Enterprises. They offer the BACB as being appropriate for calibers from 26 (6.5mm) through 30 with that thread pitch. See if they think it would work with the 223. You can also ask them if they'd thread a 22 caliber Battlecomp to 5/8-24. I suggest the Battlecomp because I have dealt with them in the past. I received excellent customer service from them
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you're gonna type "Search button," then go all-out by conducting the Search you're asserting will net discoverable results, describe how you went about it, and post a link to the Search results you got.

So that the folks who seem to fear conducting Searches (or those too lazy to do it...) can learn that it's not as scary and vexing as it is in their mind.

You know, that whole "teach a man to fish" thing...?

I ran three, and ain't finding squat, which is...let's call it distinctly unusual. Now, now I'm curious too, so how about it?
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The device will likely lose a little bit of effectiveness. The tighter the last baffle/chamber to the bullet diameter means that much more of the muzzle blast that's put to work in braking the gun.

I'd go 6.8 if you find a device you want to run.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v