Thread: 5.56 barrel with larger caliber muzzle bevice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

5.56 barrel with larger caliber muzzle bevice

Hi all,

So recently, as part of my current build, I purchased from AR Performance a 16" barrel chambered in .223 Wylde. Overall I'm very happy with the specs of the barrel and I have complete confidence that it will serve me well. However, interestingly enough, it is threaded 5/8-24. When I made the purchase I was fully aware of this and of the fact that it is not the industry standard for 5.56. In hopes of keeping the thread on topic I won't go into why they thread the barrel this way if you'd like to know more on that you can go to their website, they also discuss it more in depth on some of the 6.8 sites/forums seeing as thats their specialty. But anyways, I'm wondering if I were to install perhaps a 6.8 break/comp or even a 7.62...would the muzzle device function as is should? And if not, is it possible to have a 5.56 muzzle device re-threaded? Re-threading the barrel is (I believe) not possible as it is melanite treated. In retroscpect, at the time I didn't think that the barrel not being threaded 1/2-28 would be that much of a setback...but I've been putting a lot of thought into it recently and these 2 questions keep coming back to me. Thank you for reading and I look forward to hearing your thoughts
    Last edited by potentmix; 04-26-13 at 00:57.