Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry Handle help

Feedback Score

Carry Handle help

I have a question about the tightening of the carry handle. I know this subject has been covered before in 2010 and 2012 since I did use the search function. My question now is how tight is too tight, and will over tightening the carry handle damage the receiver? This was not discussed in the other threads.

I am using a BCM mid-length upper with carry handle that I bought ~2009-2010 and tightened the thumb screws to hand tight plus 1 whole extra turn. I also purchased 5k worth of ammo when it was at a more reasonable price.

At around the 800 round mark on the rifle, I noticed the CH was loosening up. I did not have thread locker at the time since I was at the range. I tightened again to the witness marks. Another 150 rounds or so the carry handle was getting loose again.

When I got home, I removed the CH and cleaned the threads to the thumb screws. I then used blue thread locker and tightened the thumb screws to hand tight and this time to 1 3/4 turn extra so the thumb screw notches were both parallel. There was some creak when I was tightening it up.

So is this too tight? Am I damaging something? This is a defensive weapon and I did not want my sighting system fall off when I would need it most.

Thanks,
    Capt

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You should be good now. Keep an eye on it.

I tighten mine up with a big screw driver, but I don't give it much more than good and snug.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I also failed to mention that I cannot turn the thumb screws anymore.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I tighten the screws as tight as I can with a quarter inserted into the slot on the screw.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by captdreifus View Post
    I also failed to mention that I cannot turn the thumb screws anymore.
    How much have you tightened them? Is it due to removing the knurls on the nuts or are they bottoming out?

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I tighten the screws as tight as I can with a quarter inserted into the slot on the screw.
    I do that, but I hold the quarter with a SOG multi-plier. That gives me a little extra, and it did eventually "bottom out" where I couldn't turn it anymore.

Feedback Score
    They are most likely bottoming out. Is there going to be damage to either the receiver or CH?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You're totally fine. Don't worry about it. Shoot that bitch and enjoy.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Are you pulling the studs through the handle?

I go finger tight + 1/4 turn [max] with a screw driver. Make sure the sight is butted up to the front of the rail slot.

I got that from Trijicon's installation instructions on their ACOGS. Same type of hardware. Never had a problem.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, what do you mean by pulling studs through the handle?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast