Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FN barrels - made where?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoStateArmory View Post
    The barrels are made 10 minutes down the road from us in Columbia, SC. If I remember correctly, the plant here also does the FNX handguns, M16, M249, and M240B. They also do odds and ends for the other firearms they manufacture.

Ironically, the plant is located across the street from a large liberal-type shopping area.

If you are fortunate enough or know someone you can get a tour of the plant!

This.

-David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score
    CHF barrels are not new and rare technology but it is the same thing as making cars ; KIA's are made basically the same way as Mercedes but no one is going to confuse the two

Winchester and Remington make barrels via CHF but no one is going to confuse them with FN or HK made CHF barrels

They are not one and the same

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut284 View Post
    You sure about that? I was under the impression that only used/surplus barrels were effected.
    Incorrect. ANY barrel for a banned assault weapon is also banned from import whether new or used. This is why we are not able to get Chinese made AR-15 barrels, nor Canadian C7 barrels, German Rienland Arms AR-15 barrels, etc.

Furthermore, the cut-up barrels included with Kalashnikov parts kits include new AND used barrels. They are cut to pieces because they could not be imported otherwise.

Finally, there are loop-holes: Current "Russian" AK-47s are imported as "sporting rifles" such as the Siaga or VEPR - then converted here. The barrel in that case is considered part of an importable gun instead of a banned Kalashnikov barrel. The first Sig 556 barrels were "manufactured" here using nearly complete blanks. The Romanian "WASR" rifles are imported as 10-shot only "sporter" rifles; after they arrive, the magazine well is opened up.

This is not cheating - it is actually following the letter of the import law. BTW - Glock uses similar loop holes by importing many models with adjustable "target sights" - only to remove them after they arrive here.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    CHF barrels are not new and rare technology but it is the same thing as making cars ; KIA's are made basically the same way as Mercedes but no one is going to confuse the two

Winchester and Remington make barrels via CHF but no one is going to confuse them with FN or HK made CHF barrels
    'Zackly!

It's not new tech, but it's fair to say the European mfg's have 3x the experience with the Steyr process. (back to WWII)

Winchester sort of played in this space in the 60's with their rotary swage (Torrington machine/process). But it was not as effective a process. Same for Remington with hot forging.

My understanding is that Ruger was the 1st to use the Steyr process GFM machines in the US commercially in the 90's, shortly followed by Remington. Back then the machines were $1M a pop!

Rock Island Arsenal (the arsenal, not the current RIA company) had the first GFM Steyr process machine in the US back in 1975. I read a pretty neat report on their findings that led to the usage in most of the US weapons. They recommended it for the M16A1, wonder how Colt resisted.

The most recent estimate I'm aware of is under 2 dozen GFM barrel machines in the US, with most in the hands of FN Herstal, Ruger, and Remington. Unless they have become way cheaper it's not something a mom & pop can justify, unlike CNC. But I'm probably a few years out of date on this.

It's also not enough to just have the machine, my understand is that the heat treat for stress relief is also critical.

I have to assume process control and steel quality drives much of the difference between Steyr/HK/Sako/FN hammer forged barrels and the Ruger/Remington.

Remington played with hot forging early on, but apparently like Ruger went to the Steyr process (GFM Machines) primarily for long term cost benefits. That and (for Ruger) less dependence on external contractors for barrels.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TY44934 View Post
    Incorrect. ANY barrel for a banned assault weapon is also banned from import whether new or used. This is why we are not able to get Chinese made AR-15 barrels, nor Canadian C7 barrels, German Rienland Arms AR-15 barrels, etc.

Furthermore, the cut-up barrels included with Kalashnikov parts kits include new AND used barrels. They are cut to pieces because they could not be imported otherwise.

Finally, there are loop-holes: Current "Russian" AK-47s are imported as "sporting rifles" such as the Siaga or VEPR - then converted here. The barrel in that case is considered part of an importable gun instead of a banned Kalashnikov barrel. The first Sig 556 barrels were "manufactured" here using nearly complete blanks. The Romanian "WASR" rifles are imported as 10-shot only "sporter" rifles; after they arrive, the magazine well is opened up.

This is not cheating - it is actually following the letter of the import law. BTW - Glock uses similar loop holes by importing many models with adjustable "target sights" - only to remove them after they arrive here.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoStateArmory View Post
    The barrels are made 10 minutes down the road from us in Columbia, SC. If I remember correctly, the plant here also does the FNX handguns, M16, M249, and M240B. They also do odds and ends for the other firearms they manufacture.

If you are fortunate enough or know someone you can get a tour of the plant!
    I've been on many tours there They make the FNS pistols and the MK19s there as well. You can watch all of them being made and if you're a .mil guy you can purchase a gun as it comes off the line

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    I've been on many tours there They make the FNS pistols and the MK19s there as well. You can watch all of them being made and if you're a .mil guy you can purchase a gun as it comes off the line
    I move to SC this summer. I just found out a "tourist destination" I'm going to have to visit!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    If you can get a tour by all means do it!! Also bring a set of ear protection. Those machines are just a tiny bit noisy!!

A little OT here but, I toured the Heym factory while Germany and watched barrels being made. It was a very interesting process. The initial barrel metal literally grows in length and gets very hot from the fast turning rotary hammers. The craftsmanship and work that goes into these rifles warrants their cost.
    Still kicking myself for not buying that fancy Double rifle they had on display.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    My impression was that most of the CHF AR barrels on the market were made there under contract.

Any read on DD's CHF's? I'd be amazed if they went elsewhere since they are so close to FN in SC.
    FN barrels are made by FN USA, DD barrels are made by DD in USA. Both have their own CHF machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    FN barrels are made by FN USA, DD barrels are made by DD in USA. Both have their own CHF machines.
    And IIRC FN makes BCM's barrels.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123