Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Magpul Rail Light Mount

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    If your using a a flashlight like a surefire g2 then it works great. If using a light like the x300 or tlr1 the moe scout mount is better.
    I had major clearance issues with the Scout mount in the forward slot on the MOE handguards and a TLR-1. Had to switch to the Cantilever rail in order to fit the TLR-1.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I had major clearance issues with the Scout mount in the forward slot on the MOE handguards and a TLR-1. Had to switch to the Cantilever rail in order to fit the TLR-1.
    Too close to your front sight?
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yep. The light would not go on due to lack of clearance by the FSB.
    Experimenting using the flashlight rings and cradle from the Magpul Rail Light Mount on the MOE Scout mount I was able to mount a 6P though like Yellow50 above. Gonna play with both to see which I like better.
    I ended up using the Magpul RLM on an LMT quad rail with a TLR-1 and I like that setup a lot.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 07-13-14 at 12:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Yep. The light would not go on due to lack of clearance by the FSB.
    Experimenting using the flashlight rings and cradle from the Magpul Rail Light Mount on the MOE Scout mount I was able to mount a 6P though like Yellow50 above. Gonna play with both to see which I like better.
    I ended up using the Magpul RLM on an LMT quad rail with a TLR-1 and I like that setup a lot.
    I guess I got lucky. When I got the magpul rlm I didn't have the right size hex key to put my g2 on. So I tried my tlr1 on my scout mount. It took about 15 mins to line it up perfectly and get it locked on.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i have a couple very specific criticisms of the rlm.

I have two of these. one is installed on a Samson rail on top of a rail section and is used to mount a tlr hp for spotting pests. this is fine. the light is mounted well, controls are easy to access and any peculiarities in actuation are inherent in the asymmetric ergonomics of the tlr series of lights.

the other I tried to mount on a kac 6" ras rail. I was trying to create a mounting solution for a surefire scout with tape switch for a dedicated rifle lighting system. I ran into a couple issues that warrant some consideration for people who are going to go this specific route (old style quad rail with a dedicated tape switch). i typically try to mount a tape switch in between the rails at the 2 o clock (10 o clock for the left handed) position. if you employ the 1 o clock (right side) magpul rlm at the most forward position on the rail (which is where you would want to place the light) then you will not be able to use the area between rails at the 2 o clock position to mount the tape switch (when something is clamping the rail you will not be able to fit a tape switch in that recess between rails). well just get the opposite one, the 11 o clock (left side) rlm. if you use the sling swivels that come on a factory colt rifle, the cantilever arm of the rlm will interfere with this sling swivel. the same applies for left handers in the exact opposite configurations.

i tried other possibilities like installing the mlr on the 12 o clock rail or 6 o clock rail and this resulted in similar interference with the sling swivel or with an inability to mount the tape switch in an ambidextrously accessible spot or the mount disallowed full forward handgrip on the rail.

the solution is run rlm that places the light on the opposite side of the sling swivel and get a surefire sr-02 railed tape switch and mount the tape at the 12 o clock position. however, that meant this quest for a simple reliable rifle light just got hugely pricey, scout + sr02 + rlm = ~375 street price off the internet (if you had a surefire prodeal I'm sure the price would be significantly less).

i opted instead to go back to a mossie midnight mount and with tlr in conjunction with the remote tape switch kit = ~ $270 street price off the internet.
    Last edited by trinydex; 07-22-14 at 13:23.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112