Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 Add on rail

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A question for the guys running the Dawson/Mars rails. Does the adapter for the X300 still have the set screw on the front. The reason I ask as I had the adapter crack there on an old 4 screw X200. Dawson had quit stocking the 4 screw mod and custom made a replacement btw.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It does have the set screw. I don't use it, though, there's no need, as the light seats firmly. the 4 hole adapters are long gone, as they were for the x200. the 6 hole adapters fit the X300A/B/U
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks, if I was to go back to the 1911 w/o a fixed rail I would definitely get the Mars adapter. All my work guns have the newer X300, no u boats yet. The 4 screw x200 is still going strong on my training gun though.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    Didn't want to star my own thread as it pertains to this subject in a way, what type of rear sight has the laser in it? I remember seeing a gun with that in my local gun store but it is gone now! Any imput would be helpful!
    Are you sure that you aren't thinking of a Crimson Trace grip-mounted laser?

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think he is talking about the LaserLyte rear pistol sight.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wow, thanks, I didn't know anyone was still building the Dawson Rail. I've been debating about how to mount a light on my SA TRP and had been thinking about trying to locate a Dawson somewhere.

In the mean time I recently picked up a Para Black Ops P14-45 with rail to work with for a while. I haven't owned a Para in a while and wanted to see what the quality of the new ones really is like now.
    Send lawyers, guns and money the $#!+ has hit the fan...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Doesn't Grizzly Custom make a rail as well?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    If you want a rail for a Colt Series 70 style 1911 made of Carbon Steel.. Steve's Rail is the best choice.
    Now that Dawson Precision isn't making them, the MARS option is handily the best.

I have an old Dawson on a TRS, one on a factory NHC 10-8, and one of the MARS ones. The set screw helps on one of my X300's, but is not required on the other - it's really not that critical, but it's there.

The advantage these have is that if you can find the right holsters (ironically, used helps) like the Milt Sparks VM-II or something, the DP/SLR rail will fit in holsters for the standard frame 1911 comfortably without the light, and then work with any of the correct Kydex or Safariland options with the light on. I liked this so well that I just hacked up an old Streamlight light holster for use with my Dawson adapted X300's, and use a VM2 for the pistol, and preferred that to my RCS setup that was bespoke for the 1911/DP SLR/X300.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 06-15-13 at 21:00.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
    I think he is talking about the LaserLyte rear pistol sight.
    You're likely right. A Crimson Trace isn't really of much benefit to me as a left-handed firer, anyway, since my thumbs resting against the right side of the frame basically block the beam. Just another one of those "I never really thought of that" deals that I got to learn the hard way.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Re: 1911 Add on rail

If you just want a light and you haven't already purchased it, why not go with the Crimson Trace Lightguard for non-railed 1911s? Skip the gunsmithing required for the Dawson rail and the possibility of malfunctions with the MR07.
    Disclaimer: I work for Suarez International as a customer service representative.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast