Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnesium AR lower

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm locking this shit. I can't believe we're even entertaining this nonsense on this site.
    Go watch Archer.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Go watch Archer.
    What's that? And how are we posting after I locked this short yellow bus trip?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    As a general rule in life:

If a forged AR lower is too heavy for you? LEAP OFF the TALLEST BUILDING or BRIDGE you can find and spare the rest of the world from your pathetic existence.

Thanks IN ADVANCE!
    nuff said lock it up dano

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Some very interesting and valid commentary. Overall it seems to have no merit. Thanks for the info. FWIW/FYI many chainsaw body casings are made of magnesium allow. I haven't scene any burn up yet. I'll have to see if I can get an old parts saw to set alight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Big difference in pure magnesium and magnesium/aluminum/zinc alloys. You can weld most magnesium alloys, so I don't they present much fire danger in an AR application....or a chainsaw.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 05-03-13 at 20:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Magnesium AR lower

I have no idea if the specific product is any good, but I don't get all the negativity around something different because it is different. Aluminum is nice, but it isn't the only material with merit. The talk about magnesium being a fire hazard is just silly. Magnesium can be both light and strong as can titanium. Would they make a good lower? Dunno, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. Certainly not because aluminum is "good enough" and we should stop making things better because we already have good enough.

Don't forget mfg process and heat treatment can make a huge difference even with the same material as well.

-john
    Last edited by bzdog; 05-03-13 at 20:38.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)

Re: Magnesium AR lower

As a general rule in life:

If a forged AR lower is too heavy for you? LEAP OFF the TALLEST BUILDING or BRIDGE you can find and spare the rest of the world from your pathetic existence.

Thanks IN ADVANCE!
    Do you harbor this kind of vitriol for those that carry polymer framed handguns? Alloy J frames?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Re: Magnesium AR lower

Someone should go tell the auto industry about the downsides of magnesium. After all, there starting to manufacture key structural components out of it to decrease weight for fuel economy. Magnesium is stronger than aluminum and thus you can make a part thinner thus lighter. Yes it's flammable but only in certain conditions. It's extremely ****ing hard to light in a solid form. It's not more brittle if you select the correct alloys. The reason it's not used for many things is because it's a more expensive material and aluminum usually does the job just fine for most things. If you simply machine a lower out of it it will weigh about the same. To make it lighter you would have to re engineer it to use less material and to take advantage of magnesiums higher strength. Some of you guys really need to learn about it before dogging on magnesium. If the right alloy was used I'd prefer a standard lower made from it, if it was well engineered I wouldn't mind the weight savings but markm is right. If you can't handle the aluminum lower in 90% of situations then your a ****ing puss!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ...and let's all not forget what thermite is: Aluminum and iron oxide - two components I'm certain that are present in most ARs.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Magnesium AR lower

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Why even bother with shit like that??????

"One man with courage makes a majority."
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast