Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnesium AR lower

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Both practical AND gimmicky.

Aircraft components (the CH-46 helicopter, for instance has quite a few magnesium components) can be made strong and lighter than comparable aluminum assemblies. On the other hand magnesium is also more liable to corrode when exposed to maritime conditions (aircraft at sea and on ships).

My friend Larry "Bad News" B. was afloat on a Naval ROTC Cadet cruise the summer between his junior and senior years when a -46 crashed on the flight deck and burned. He has a melted magnesium blob that looks like a small pancake as a souvenir of that destroyed aircraft.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)

Re: Magnesium AR lower

Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Both practical AND gimmicky.
    Can you elaborate? At first read your comment sounds incredibly oxymoronic.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It's a survival lower. Shave off a little in the bush and you have a fire starting method.
    Bear Grylls Edition Lowers!
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The OP of the thread on TOS is the type I just can't stand. Especially as a small business owner.

I have to deal what I call the "amazon.com" generation. These are people who believe in fighting with a seller or store until the get what they want, not what they deserve. Sellers based on online rating are terrorized into giving buyers what they want to get good feed back. Because of their volume it makes sense for them to just do it.

This jackass is the same. He is shooting reloads through an adams arms upper, clearly a window licker. And he wants all ten returned, when he does not even deserve one.

Some people are such self involved shit heads.

Edited to add: I work in the automotive performance aftermarket for high end german cars. Wheels are much like AR lowers, forged aluminum is better than cut billet aluminum, which is better than cast aluminum. Also available, but rare are magnesium wheels, typically only used in racing but also in some street applications. The magnesium wheels are lighter and stronger (or lighter for same strength), but much more expensive.
    Last edited by TMS951; 05-03-13 at 10:12. Reason: to add

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Define what it's for.

If you want a lightweight carbine that you only need for survival application (say waterproof shrink-wrapped and placed in an ejection seat kit or as a bail-out weapon instead of just a pilot's pistol) then it has an application.

If you need it for constant shooting and training (to include swimming and SCUBA over-the-beach or ship boardings) you could probably continue to use a MILSPEC weapon and rotate them out as they wear and hit service life.

It's just another machine. The manufacturers and builders are going to market it to people who want (and very possibly need) something different.

Is it worth it for a few ounces?

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Define what it's for.

If you want a lightweight carbine that you only need for survival application (say waterproof shrink-wrapped and placed in an ejection seat kit or as a bail-out weapon instead of just a pilot's pistol) then it has an application.

If you need it for constant shooting and training (to include swimming and SCUBA over-the-beach or ship boardings) you could probably continue to use a MILSPEC weapon and rotate them out as they wear and hit service life.

It's just another machine. The manufacturers and builders are going to market it to people who want (and very possibly need) something different.

Is it worth it for a few ounces?
    I read you. I just think of a gimmick as something that has no practical use which is why I took it as an oxymoron. Dropping weight with little to no practical loss in functionality isn't gimmicky IMO. But there is a cost/benefit analysis to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    As a general rule in life:

If a forged AR lower is too heavy for you? LEAP OFF the TALLEST BUILDING or BRIDGE you can find and spare the rest of the world from your pathetic existence.

Thanks IN ADVANCE!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Uh oh, something has upset the groupthink here!

Perhaps this Mg lower isn't the greatest thing in the world, or even worth the money they're asking for it. It's encouraging though to see people willing to experiment with alternative materials and designs. Perhaps this iteration of the idea isn't the ideal configuration but maybe someone will learn something from this that can be applied to the next idea. I shudder to think of the reaction that some of the people here would have had to the early attempts at polymer magazines or electronic sights.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm locking this shit. I can't believe we're even entertaining this nonsense on this site.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast