Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magnesium AR lower

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Both practical AND gimmicky.

Aircraft components (the CH-46 helicopter, for instance has quite a few magnesium components) can be made strong and lighter than comparable aluminum assemblies. On the other hand magnesium is also more liable to corrode when exposed to maritime conditions (aircraft at sea and on ships).

My friend Larry "Bad News" B. was afloat on a Naval ROTC Cadet cruise the summer between his junior and senior years when a -46 crashed on the flight deck and burned. He has a melted magnesium blob that looks like a small pancake as a souvenir of that destroyed aircraft.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Magnesium AR lower

Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Both practical AND gimmicky.
    Can you elaborate? At first read your comment sounds incredibly oxymoronic.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It's a survival lower. Shave off a little in the bush and you have a fire starting method.
    Bear Grylls Edition Lowers!
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The OP of the thread on TOS is the type I just can't stand. Especially as a small business owner.

I have to deal what I call the "amazon.com" generation. These are people who believe in fighting with a seller or store until the get what they want, not what they deserve. Sellers based on online rating are terrorized into giving buyers what they want to get good feed back. Because of their volume it makes sense for them to just do it.

This jackass is the same. He is shooting reloads through an adams arms upper, clearly a window licker. And he wants all ten returned, when he does not even deserve one.

Some people are such self involved shit heads.

Edited to add: I work in the automotive performance aftermarket for high end german cars. Wheels are much like AR lowers, forged aluminum is better than cut billet aluminum, which is better than cast aluminum. Also available, but rare are magnesium wheels, typically only used in racing but also in some street applications. The magnesium wheels are lighter and stronger (or lighter for same strength), but much more expensive.
    Last edited by TMS951; 05-03-13 at 10:12. Reason: to add
    Vickers Tactical Level 1 Pistol/Carbine - Ken Hackathorn Advanced Handgun - Dave Harrington Combatspeed Handgun - Kelly Venden 3 gun - Kyle Lamb VTAC Carbine 1.5 + Pistol 1.5

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Define what it's for.

If you want a lightweight carbine that you only need for survival application (say waterproof shrink-wrapped and placed in an ejection seat kit or as a bail-out weapon instead of just a pilot's pistol) then it has an application.

If you need it for constant shooting and training (to include swimming and SCUBA over-the-beach or ship boardings) you could probably continue to use a MILSPEC weapon and rotate them out as they wear and hit service life.

It's just another machine. The manufacturers and builders are going to market it to people who want (and very possibly need) something different.

Is it worth it for a few ounces?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Define what it's for.

If you want a lightweight carbine that you only need for survival application (say waterproof shrink-wrapped and placed in an ejection seat kit or as a bail-out weapon instead of just a pilot's pistol) then it has an application.

If you need it for constant shooting and training (to include swimming and SCUBA over-the-beach or ship boardings) you could probably continue to use a MILSPEC weapon and rotate them out as they wear and hit service life.

It's just another machine. The manufacturers and builders are going to market it to people who want (and very possibly need) something different.

Is it worth it for a few ounces?
    I read you. I just think of a gimmick as something that has no practical use which is why I took it as an oxymoron. Dropping weight with little to no practical loss in functionality isn't gimmicky IMO. But there is a cost/benefit analysis to be done.
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    As a general rule in life:

If a forged AR lower is too heavy for you? LEAP OFF the TALLEST BUILDING or BRIDGE you can find and spare the rest of the world from your pathetic existence.

Thanks IN ADVANCE!
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

Feedback Score
    Uh oh, something has upset the groupthink here!

Perhaps this Mg lower isn't the greatest thing in the world, or even worth the money they're asking for it. It's encouraging though to see people willing to experiment with alternative materials and designs. Perhaps this iteration of the idea isn't the ideal configuration but maybe someone will learn something from this that can be applied to the next idea. I shudder to think of the reaction that some of the people here would have had to the early attempts at polymer magazines or electronic sights.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm locking this shit. I can't believe we're even entertaining this nonsense on this site.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm locking this shit. I can't believe we're even entertaining this nonsense on this site.
    Go watch Archer.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Go watch Archer.
    What's that? And how are we posting after I locked this short yellow bus trip?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

If a forged AR lower is too heavy for you? LEAP OFF the TALLEST BUILDING or BRIDGE you can find and spare the rest of the world from your pathetic existence.

Thanks IN ADVANCE!
    nuff said lock it up dano

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Some very interesting and valid commentary. Overall it seems to have no merit. Thanks for the info. FWIW/FYI many chainsaw body casings are made of magnesium allow. I haven't scene any burn up yet. I'll have to see if I can get an old parts saw to set alight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Big difference in pure magnesium and magnesium/aluminum/zinc alloys. You can weld most magnesium alloys, so I don't they present much fire danger in an AR application....or a chainsaw.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 05-03-13 at 20:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Magnesium AR lower

I have no idea if the specific product is any good, but I don't get all the negativity around something different because it is different. Aluminum is nice, but it isn't the only material with merit. The talk about magnesium being a fire hazard is just silly. Magnesium can be both light and strong as can titanium. Would they make a good lower? Dunno, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. Certainly not because aluminum is "good enough" and we should stop making things better because we already have good enough.

Don't forget mfg process and heat treatment can make a huge difference even with the same material as well.

-john
    Last edited by bzdog; 05-03-13 at 20:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks IN ADVANCE!
    Do you harbor this kind of vitriol for those that carry polymer framed handguns? Alloy J frames?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Someone should go tell the auto industry about the downsides of magnesium. After all, there starting to manufacture key structural components out of it to decrease weight for fuel economy. Magnesium is stronger than aluminum and thus you can make a part thinner thus lighter. Yes it's flammable but only in certain conditions. It's extremely ****ing hard to light in a solid form. It's not more brittle if you select the correct alloys. The reason it's not used for many things is because it's a more expensive material and aluminum usually does the job just fine for most things. If you simply machine a lower out of it it will weigh about the same. To make it lighter you would have to re engineer it to use less material and to take advantage of magnesiums higher strength. Some of you guys really need to learn about it before dogging on magnesium. If the right alloy was used I'd prefer a standard lower made from it, if it was well engineered I wouldn't mind the weight savings but markm is right. If you can't handle the aluminum lower in 90% of situations then your a ****ing puss!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ...and let's all not forget what thermite is: Aluminum and iron oxide - two components I'm certain that are present in most ARs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Magnesium AR lower

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Why even bother with shit like that??????

"One man with courage makes a majority."
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast