Thread: Getting bent over and raped by American Express - a story. (A Rant)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Getting bent over and raped by American Express - a story. (A Rant)

(This is entirely unrelated to a thread I made a week or so ago about credit cards)

So last month I opened an AMEX Blue cash back card. I only had one credit card and figured I might as well grab another one. When I applied I did NOT ask for a balance transfer or enter any of my old CC info AT ALL

Lo and behold the next day there is an email saying my balance transfer request for $3000 is pending. I don't even have a balance on my other credit card, let alone need to transfer anything. How the hell did they get my CC info? And who put in this $3000 figure? Wtf? So I call....

I got through to the exceptionally polite (but proportionally uneducated) Indian call center and after talking to several different people several different times their answer was all the same "I see your balance transfer request. Please call when you get your card in the mail, we can't cancel it until then."

So I wait. A week later my card arrives and I call them back. I get some guy who sounds like he's walking around a shopping mall, he takes my information and sees the request and says "Alright, I just cancelled it. Is there anything else I can do for you?"
    I told him I wanted confirmation of some sort. Email, letter, etc. He said sure I'd have it soon.

Next day, no confirmation. So I call back. "Sure Mr.Euro we'll get it to you in the mail soon"

Today, what do you know. My AMEX account is short $3000 and the balance transfer is approved.

So I call again. "Oh, I'm showing that you called this day and this day and this day but you shoud've been told we don't cancel balance transfers. You should've thought about it before you requested one"

Brodudes - In all my life I have never understood how my drill instructors were able to get so angry. I think I realized the trick this morning - they call AMEX with serious problems and then run into the squad bay.

I had to hang up. I was furious the rest of the day. I sent them a secure message through their webiste (So I would finally have some sort of paper trail) and they said they would credit my account $21.38 (what a random ass number) for the inconvenience but they could do nothing about the $150 balance transfer fee (5% of $3000)

And the worst part? I signed on the dotted line and I can't get an American on the phone to save my life. Dave Ramsey is ****ing right.

So now both of my credit cards are all sorts of ****ed up and I have to:

-Request a $3000 check from my other credit card company.
    -Pay $3150 toward my AMEX
    -Not profit.

TL;DR
    AMEX is a bunch of scumbag dumbasses
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-03-13 at 13:34.
    Why do the loudest do the least?