Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Odd noise with bolt closed

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Odd noise with bolt closed

It's hard to describe but I will do my best....

On my LMT MRP when I tilt the rifle forward from a level shooting position, I hear and feel movement in the upper receiver....when I tilt back the other way I hear/feel the same thing. I have a BCM F/A BCG and a carbine buffer that came from LMT. I checked the gas rings but I don't think those would have an effect when the bolt is closed. I did not have a round in the chamber when I noticed this. Any ideas?

DJ
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just to cover bases;

Are you feeling the (slight) movement of the weights inside the buffer?
    Last edited by wake.joe; 05-04-13 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    It's hard to describe but I will do my best....

On my LMT MRP when I tilt the rifle forward from a level shooting position, I hear and feel movement in the upper receiver....when I tilt back the other way I hear/feel the same thing. I have a BCM F/A BCG and a carbine buffer that came from LMT. I checked the gas rings but I don't think those would have an effect when the bolt is closed. I did not have a round in the chamber when I noticed this. Any ideas?

DJ
    Is this after you have pulled the trigger or before?
    Do you have a sling mounted?
    Last edited by steyrman13; 05-04-13 at 10:56.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When you fire the rifle, that signals the little guys inside your rifle to get to work, the first whacks the primer with a hammer, the second guy opens the bolt and the third slams the next round into the chamber.

That sound you hear is the furniture in their barracks shifting around accompanied by cussing each time you tilt the rifle. You should be more considerate! Those guys work hard for you

(Actually, it's probably the weights in the buffer shifting. They are loose to help soften the cycling of the action)
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-04-13 at 10:53.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wake.joe View Post
    Just to cover bases;

Are you feeling the (slight) movement of the weights inside the buffer?
    The "feel" is forward of the weights but I will try different buffers to investigate that. I don't have this noise on any of my Colts or my KAC. thank you for your input.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    Is this after you have pulled the trigger or before?
    Both....
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    When you fire the rifle, that signals the little guys inside your rifle to get to work, the first whacks the primer with a hammer, the second guy opens the bolt and the third slams the next round into the chamber.

That sound you hear is the furniture in their barracks shifting around accompanied by cussing each time you tilt the rifle. You should be more considerate! Those guys work hard for you

(Actually, it's probably the weights in the buffer shifting. They are loose to help soften the cycling of the action)

Haha, thanks for the comedic explanation. Are the buffer weight specific to the LMT buffer, as I don't hear them on my other guns?
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    The "feel" is forward of the weights but I will try different buffers to investigate that. I don't have this noise on any of my Colts or my KAC. thank you for your input.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you felt them coming from the upper/infront of the buffer. I would think kinetic energy from the weights would transfer easily into a bolt carrier.
    Last edited by wake.joe; 05-06-13 at 12:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Did you check your bore? Maybe you've got a pair of squibs with some jacket shrapnel rolling around between them.

But really though, that doesn't sound right at all - maybe your carrier is loose in your receiver somehow? Like maybe the RE isn't threaded on enough?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm sure you'll feel more shifting with some buffers more than you will with others. You could take it out of the rifle and shake it to see how much the little guy's furniture shifts around, or if the cussing gets any louder
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-04-13 at 11:14.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast