Thread: What are the different sight options for a .45?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

What are the different sight options for a .45?

I more or less inherited this old mixmaster 1911 that seems to be mostly USGI parts and a "Crown City" frame.

*I did look up Crown City and learned that most of their stuff was garbage, but this specific frame seems to be fine.

I shot the pistol on Sunday. The gun fired but it FTEd every single time causing jams and double feeds. I checked the tension and it had none whatsover. I pulled it out and saw a seam on the part, so I'm thinking it was a crappy MIM part. I tried adding some tension but I am not sure it worked either. I plan on getting a decent Series 70 extractor and fixing that.

Here is a mandatory picture of what I have.

As you can see, the top half is USGI. It's fine. It seems to work (except for that shit extractor) It wasn't the ammo or mags because I shot those out of a 100 yr old Colt and those items worked as advertised.

Anyway, two things-----

1) How/where do I find someone to modify this USGI slide for better sights? How much does work like this usually cost?

2) What are all my sight cut options? (I know of Novak or Bo-mar). I am sure there are others.

Thank you Gentlemen.

(I would also like to change out the stocks to something flatter, and get a flat MSH, and a longer trigger); I probably should get an ambi safety since I am LH.

ETA: I sure as hell wouldn't mind if the end result looked something along these lines.
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 05-07-13 at 15:56.
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif