Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New IDPA Rules

Feedback Score

New IDPA Rules

Just curious what everyone thinks of the new rules? I haven't read every word yet, but I'm disappointed that stippling the frame isn't allowed in SSP, and slightly less disappointed that there is no .40 CDP.

I can't say I saw anything that I thought was going to significantly improve the sport.

Overall, I don't know why they made such a big deal about changing the rules when the changes appear to be very minor.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty_B View Post
    Just curious what everyone thinks of the new rules? I haven't read every word yet, but I'm disappointed that stippling the frame isn't allowed in SSP, and slightly less disappointed that there is no .40 CDP.

I can't say I saw anything that I thought was going to significantly improve the sport.

Overall, I don't know why they made such a big deal about changing the rules when the changes appear to be very minor.
    Because anything people do long enough becomes a tradition, and then people will fight, whine, or complain about anything that alters that tradition, even if it's an improvement.

Human beings, as a rule, hate change. It's hardwired into our species it appears and probably helped us survive.

It's also an Achilles heel for us in many cases.

"Why do you do it like that?"

"Because that's how it's always been done"

Is a common conversation regardless of topic.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Bc its IDPA's midnight dream to be the other shooting sport, and they succeed quite well at it.

I seen more shooters on FB vowing to never come back to IDPA, and some even let down they'd pay up until 2015.

My issue with with IDPA has always been subjectivness. USPSA is black and white for the most part. IDPA's SO's have the whole "because I said so " thing down pat, and it goes from me at local matches up the Turan Butler at nationals.If its not on paper in the rulebook or stage readout, its dosent exist. USPSA gets this, IDPA dosent.

I had a SO's son tell me "thats the way we are shooting this because the SO's word is final" on why we wernt shooting a target that was visible before the next. That was the last straw for me. I dont miss it.

If they dealt with that aspect, I could deal with the stupid round dumping as asinine reloading/cover rules.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Competition that accepts being a competition is easier to govern than a competition that pretends to emulate real life in any way.

Too many gray areas in fighting, and they translate pretty poorly to a rulebook. Subjective BS then rules.

If you carry a strongside 1911 under a photographer's vest and try to execute tac reloads on the clock, then IDPA may have some relevance. Otherwise, I'll shoot outlaw 3-gun and accept it for what it is.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    Bc its IDPA's midnight dream to be the other shooting sport, and they succeed quite well at it.

I seen more shooters on FB vowing to never come back to IDPA, and some even let down they'd pay up until 2015.

My issue with with IDPA has always been subjectivness. USPSA is black and white for the most part. IDPA's SO's have the whole "because I said so " thing down pat, and it goes from me at local matches up the Turan Butler at nationals.If its not on paper in the rulebook or stage readout, its dosent exist. USPSA gets this, IDPA dosent.

I had a SO's son tell me "thats the way we are shooting this because the SO's word is final" on why we wernt shooting a target that was visible before the next. That was the last straw for me. I dont miss it.

If they dealt with that aspect, I could deal with the stupid round dumping as asinine reloading/cover rules.
    This is 100% true. I can't even count how many times I've personally seen SOs or MDs make stuff up on the spot. The fact that something isn't in the rulebook seems not to matter at all in IDPA, and HQ doesn't seem to have any ability to reign this in nor even any interest in doing so.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I shoot IDPA and USPSA regularly. This past weekend I shot a local IDPA match the way I would shoot any USPSA match. I got penalties, procedurals, dropped mags with ammo in them, ignored tactical priority/sequence, ... I still came in 2nd place of 28 shooters in SSP.

My point is the sport is flawed in many ways. The rulebook needs much more revision than they're willing to give it.
    Last edited by Moltke; 05-09-13 at 16:29.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    I recently observed an SO at an IDPA match not disqualify a new shooter for dropping a gun. Rationalization was he did not want to discourage the new shooter. Clearly the rule book states a dropped weapon results in a DQ. The SO's statement was " it was my call".

The safe gun handling rules in IDPA require a DQ for a dropped weapon.

The problem I see is that some method for keeping SOs regulated is not in place. I had a case where an individual removed their pistol from a holster after a match outside the safe area and swept me with the muzzle. When I firmly confronted the individual he said " it was unloaded". I conveyed to the individual that I was an SO and he just broke gun handling rules. This character was also an SO. I brought this to the attention of the Match Director and then washed my hands of it.

The point in this yarn is that IDPA SO standards are loose. My interest in IDPA is waning after participating 11 years.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I was super-excited to hit Master in IDPA, because that meant I didn't have to shoot it anymore
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moltke View Post
    I shoot IDPA and USPSA regularly. This past weekend I shot a local IDPA match the way I would shoot any USPSA match. I got penalties, procedurals, dropped mags with ammo in them, ignored tactical priority/sequence, ... I still came in 2nd place of 28 shooters in SSP.
    That could only be made better if you were wearing this

I'm trying to find it, but someone actually did a chart that showed changing the scoring penalties to what Vickers/Hack sugjested would have had almost zero effect on match placement because the best shooters drop the fewest point and do it faster then the next guy.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post

I may have some issues with the IDPA rules, but the SO's my area have always been highly professional, know the rule book inside and out, and very fair. I got DQd myself once for something I didn't agree with per se, but that was the rule and yes, up to the SO to make the on the spot ruling if it was what he thought it was vs what I thought it was.

Have never shot an IDPA match outside the NE, but when I was shooting IDPA almost every week during the season, I traveled all over the area and can't say a negative thing about an SO I was exposed to, and never heard an SO complaint of any real merit.

The "'cause I said so" mentality is not the norm for SO's in my area at least in my experience.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast