Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New IDPA Rules

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In thinking about how we want this sport to change, we should think about what we want this sport to be. Personally, I would like it to be a closer reflection of real world defensive shooting, and the rules should reflect that. Use cover, use concealment, be quick, be accurate, don't waste ammo, shoot until the threat is neutralized.

Some possible changes -

360 degree cover garment required (T-shirt, sweater, oversized shirt, zipped vest) - no open hanging vest where a breeze will expose your gun.

All concealment/carry methods allowed, must not violate 180 rule - therefore no ban on AIWB.

Gear Divisions simplified.
    SSP - No external mods to the gun. 10rd capacity limit.
    ESP - Whatever mods you want, no comps/optics. High capacity magazines permitted, must fit in box.
    SSR - No external mods to the gun. 6rd capacity limit.
    ESR - Whatever mods you want, must fit in box. 8rd capacity limit.
    BUG - Don't care, this division sucks anyway.

Don't have to retain an empty magazine, but must retain magazines with ammo in them. - rewards retaining live ammo, also doesn't encourage people to shoot to slide lock anymore

Points down are 1 second instead of 1/2 seconds - rewarding accuracy

Penalties are doubled throughout the game - punishing deviation from the rules, really punishes shooting hostages/no-shoots

No requirement to make headshots - this is a game for civilians

No tactical sequence (1, 1, 2, 1, 1) - once you engage a target you should neutralize it before moving on

The use of cover ...

The use of cover is really the hardest part for me to make a rule. I have had several times where an RO was too short or maybe just too lazy to see or understand that I was effectively exposing one target at a time and properly using cover, and I've had penalties called as a result. Use cover effectively, RO's should be issued a step stool if necessary. (But then this happens to be the same RO a few times and he's clueless about more than lines of sight... so...oh well.)

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Moltke; 05-13-13 at 16:19.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moltke View Post
    In thinking about how we want this sport to change, we should think about what we want this sport to be. Personally, I would like it to be a closer reflection of real world defensive shooting, and the rules should reflect that. Use cover, use concealment, be quick, be accurate, don't waste ammo, shoot until the threat is neutralized.

Some possible changes -

360 degree cover garment required (T-shirt, sweater, oversized shirt, zipped vest) - no open hanging vest where a breeze will expose your gun.

All concealment/carry methods allowed, must not violate 180 rule - therefore no ban on AIWB.

Gear Divisions simplified.
    SSP - No external mods to the gun. 10rd capacity limit.
    ESP - Whatever mods you want, no comps/optics. High capacity magazines permitted, must fit in box.
    SSR - No external mods to the gun. 6rd capacity limit.
    ESR - Whatever mods you want, must fit in box. 8rd capacity limit.
    BUG - Don't care, this division sucks anyway.

Don't have to retain an empty magazine, but must retain magazines with ammo in them. - rewards retaining live ammo, also doesn't encourage people to shoot to slide lock anymore

Points down are 1 second instead of 1/2 seconds - rewarding accuracy

Penalties are doubled throughout the game - punishing deviation from the rules, really punishes shooting hostages/no-shoots

No requirement to make headshots - this is a game for civilians

No tactical sequence (1, 1, 2, 1, 1) - once you engage a target you should neutralize it before moving on

The use of cover ...

The use of cover is really the hardest part for me to make a rule. I have had several times where an RO was too short or maybe just too lazy to see or understand that I was effectively exposing one target at a time and properly using cover, and I've had penalties called as a result. Use cover effectively, RO's should be issued a step stool if necessary. (But then this happens to be the same RO a few times and he's clueless about more than lines of sight... so...oh well.)

Thoughts?
    I like most of that. Also, no restriction on movement in CoF except by use of physical props. Getting off the "X" should be encouraged. As for cover, the foot rule is stupid. If a BG is shooting at my foot, I'm going to kill him for his efforts. On the low cover rule, it's specifically designed to make life easy for the SO. A knee on the ground is easy to judge. It doesn't promote good tactics though. Locally we've learned to make cover violations a self assessing penalty, such as a HNT or failure to neutralize.

Feedback Score
    Moltke,

I like everything but the 360 degree cover garment. Simply because for me at least, that doesn't reflect reality at least 50% of the time. The other 50%, I'm rolling with a J-frame, and it would be hard to build a sport around that. I completely agree about the BUG.

I think IDPA needs to keep itself separated from USPSA somehow, so I like your penalty system. I would also like to see higher PFs required to simulate real defensive ammo.

As far as head shots, I like it for the game aspect because it's a smaller target. All body shots would definitely speed things up unless you really upped the number of NTs, used more hard cover, etc.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234