Thread: Remington scores 50,629 unit M4 contract for Phillipine Army

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightbulb Remington scores 50,629 unit M4 contract for Phillipine Army

Apologies to the mods if this is a dupe and if this is the wrong sub-forum to post this.

Ouch for Colt Defense.

US-based Remington wins bid to supply 50,000 M4 rifles for AFP, company rep says

By: Jaime Sinapit, InterAksyon.com

May 4, 2013 11:10

InterAksyon.com

The online news portal of TV5

The Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) of the Department of National Defense (DND) has declared the United States-based Remington company the winning bidder to supply 50,629 pieces of M4 rifles, according to the Philippine representative of the company. The bid was for little less than P2-billion.

"Remington was declared the winning single calculated bid on the AFP requirement for 50,629 pieces M4 cal 5.56mm assault rifles," Neri Dionisio, head of the P.B. Dionisio & Co., Inc., said. Dionisio is the official local representative of Remington.

In a follow-up phone interview, Dionisio said the bidding was conducted on Tuesday at the DND. Apart from Remington, it was participated in by Colt Defense, Sig Sauer and Manroy, he added.

"Remington submitted a total bid price of P1,944,261,591.66, saving government coffers P1,245,365,408.34, (based on) the total authorized budget of contract of P3,189,627,000." This would place the price for each rifle at around P38,400, or around $960.

Even as Dionisio announced Remington's winning bid, however, a source from the DND-BAC said they expected at least one of the losing bidders, particularly Colt, to file a motion for reconsideration.

"We've been expecting that, but we're confident the DND-BAC is certain they got the right bidder. With or without the contest of Colt we will be filing our request for a post-qualification bid on Friday," Dionisio said.

The post-qualification process will revalidate the documents for bidding. After this, the DND-BAC moves to the conduct of a pre-delivery inspection of the items from the winning bidder.

"A group from DND, most probably the Technical Group (TWG), will be going to the factory in the US to inspect the firearms. If there is no problem then the DND-BAC will finally award the contract to Remington," Dionisio said.

Another article:

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/20...ult-rifle-deal

US-based firm lone qualified bidder in assault rifle deal

(The Philippine Star) | Updated May 7, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - A US-based company has been declared the single eligible bidder during the defense department’s bidding for the acquisition of more than 50,000 assault rifles.

Remington Arms Co. offered to supply 50,629 assault rifles for P1.94 billion, lower than the P3.19-billion approved budget for the project.

Remington’s bid places the unit price at P38,402.13, way below the approved unit price of P63,000.

“When the contract is finally awarded to Remington, the government shall have saved the amount of over P1.2 billion or a savings of 39 percent for the procurement of additional defense materiel,” Remington said in a statement.

Remington is based in Madison, North Carolina and produces military and law enforcement equipment as well as sporting and hunting products. In its website, the company said it distributes its products in more than 55 countries.

Under the government’s procedures, a company can only be declared a winning bidder if it satisfies the post qualification requirements and if it receives a notice of award.

Remington said three other US companies participated in the bidding, which was held last April 30 in Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City.

The three other firms – Colt, Sig Sauer, and Manroy – were declared ineligible to bid due to failure to satisfy some requirements.

Remington said Colt had expressed its intention to file a motion for reconsideration and they were instructed by the defense department’s Special Bids and Awards Committee 1 to submit a formal request not later than May 3.

The bids and awards committee has seven calendar days to decide on motions for reconsideration filed by bidders.

Last edited by 30 cal slut; 05-10-13 at 09:05.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    doesn't remington have their fingers in bushmaster and dpms? i think the us and phillipeans should spend a lil more for something that is tried and true like colt. with all the government waste in spending they are taking a chance on a remington when this could possibly cost lives? no hate towards remington as i have a couple of remington hunting rifles in the gun safe but they are older models and i have seen issues with the newer ones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weez440 View Post
    doesn't remington have their fingers in bushmaster and dpms? i think the us and phillipeans should spend a lil more for something that is tried and true like colt. with all the government waste in spending they are taking a chance on a remington when this could possibly cost lives? no hate towards remington as i have a couple of remington hunting rifles in the gun safe but they are older models and i have seen issues with the newer ones.
    Where do you see the US spending any money in this article? Government waste? (unless you're referring to the 2012 contract in the US.)

The Filipino government is spending the $48,603,840. $960 a piece for them, while the US government pays $673 a piece with the 2012 contract they made with Remington...

holy markup for overseas arms trade
    Last edited by skijunkie55; 05-10-13 at 12:30.

Feedback Score
    These are Bushmasters the Georgians were using in the Russian Georgia War. They sell to a lot of foreign governments.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by weez440 View Post
    i think the us and phillipeans should spend a lil more for something that is tried and true like colt.
    Why would you even make a statement like that on this board? You act like M4/ AR15 production is magic, and Remington has never had military contracts or made real weapons.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB