Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POF rifles

Feedback Score

POF rifles

I've been researching them for a while. Kind of expensive. Any of you have any experience with them, and their gas piston system? They would appear to be top notch..? I did a search and nothing came up so I thought I'd bring up the topic. How do they compare to the other high end AR systems (LaRue, Noveske, LWRC etc.)

Thanks in advance
    "To ask is but a moments shame, but to not ask, and remain ignorant is a life's shame" - Lao Tzu

Feedback Score

Great Product

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTricks View Post
    I've been researching them for a while. Kind of expensive. Any f you have any experience with them, and their gas piston system? They would appear to be top notch..? I did a search and nothing came up so I thought I'd bring up the topic. How do they compare to the other high end AR systems (LaRue, Noveske, LWRC etc.)

Thanks in advance
    Great end product (reliability (100%), accuracy(.75 - 1 MOA) & finish), premium price ($3k), long lead time (8 months)....but I do love my SPR/DMR build:

Only drawback is some feedback (did not experience this myself) regarding poor customer service.

I would do it all again...

Feedback Score

Cool POF? No, LWRC!!!

Zef, please no high-jacks.

This is a POF thread.

Thanks

Edited by Va_Dinger.
    Last edited by VA_Dinger; 03-30-08 at 08:15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have seen a couple of POF rifles in various classes. They looked like very nice builds and ran with zero issues.

I would buy one.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have seen of some good ones and some bad ones. If you do a search there are some reports of them not being 100%...but that's just like everything else I guess.

I would have bought one a couple of years ago if the had standard height rail system. I don't care for the extra SIR type top rail. DD made some prototype rails for them but they never went into production AFAIK. They had them in a VIS too but I don't think they were ever produced either. Oh well.

Don't believe the hype about "no lube required". I didn't design it or anything...but hey, it's a FAL gas system with hard chrome inside the upper. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know it still needs lube.

Feedback Score
    How do they compare to LWRC, or LMT's piston system. Also fit and finish compared to the others. There is a LWRC M4 flat top on Gun broker right now for $1300. Used but appears to be in mint. I want to jump on it but I want to compare. Any issues with LWRC rifles? Are they top notch as well? There price sure reflects this.... Are they worth the money, or should I get a basic LMT M4 flat top, and upgrade the piston system later?
    "To ask is but a moments shame, but to not ask, and remain ignorant is a life's shame" - Lao Tzu

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would rather have an LWRC, because of the parts commonality and reputation for reliability. I own one, and it's a well built gun. I had some slight issues with it but the company jumped through hoops to make it right. Also, the rail height is that same as a standard AR which is one of my gripes about the POF. If you can buy one for $1300 buy it now. Otherwise you will be waiting 20 weeks. You could flip it for more money f you decide against it later. I have a lot of faith in LMT but nobody has one yet so there is very little evidence of it's function. If it works I will get one of them, also. I drink the piston Kool-Aid. I'd rather have a 416 than any of them but I don't have that option.

I would rather buy a piston gun than convert a DI gun. They were designed as piston guns and the parts are made to. The conversions don't give me a warm and fuzzy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTricks View Post
    How do they compare to LWRC, or LMT's piston system. Also fit and finish compared to the others. There is a LWRC M4 flat top on Gun broker right now for $1300. Used but appears to be in mint. I want to jump on it but I want to compare. Any issues with LWRC rifles? Are they top notch as well? There price sure reflects this.... Are they worth the money, or should I get a basic LMT M4 flat top, and upgrade the piston system later?
    LMT makes great DI AR's. Grant had a couple for sale at $1,250 recently. I understand that only the LMT MRP (mono-rail) can be retrofitted with the piston system. If that's the case your figure would just about buy the upper - only. While I am not sure, you may want to double check before parting with your $1,300. LMT's piston system is brand new, no real LT reliability data would be available, but I have no doubt they have tested the crap out of it. Grant at G&R can surely fill us in.

I do not own LWRC, but have heard they are good. This smells a lot like a Chevy Ford debate to me.

Can only speak first hand to POF, would highly recommend them based on what I have experienced & seen with my own eyes. I (personally) am not convinced I really needed a piston system...my Noveske SBR DI system is also 100% reliable...only thing for sure is that pistons are cleaner, esp. with heavy use.

Feedback Score

Thumbs down POf!

Jedi/VA_Dinger,

In my humble experience, I have seen several POF's break and stop during carbine classes. One was being used by an instructor that was all about the POF until it failed to work in the middle of a demo. Another POF I found at a gun store around the corner, the owner asked me to look at, the cool looking flash hider on it, a vortex style, no not a vortex had snapped off as he was putting it on the shelf. In my humble experience I have had no good experiences with them worth spending my hard earned money on. On the other hand I have two LWRC's that i have run through several high round classes and they run. Thank you.
    -Zef M.
    Last edited by abnartyguy; 03-30-08 at 17:44. Reason: spell check

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Some info to ponder over

Are you guys trying to say that LWRC rifles do not break? How many rounds do you have through yours? Well this guy has 25K, and his has broken A LOT. I remember a similar thread from a LWRC owner with +10K through his rifle.

These are the ONLY two LWRC owners that I’ve seen speak of high round counts and neither rifle seemed to have held up all that well.

Look at the parts he has broken in less than 30k rounds:

- Gas key screws
    - Various "springs"
    - Gas block pins
    - Breaking firing pins (numerous) not to mention still an ongoing problem
    - "some other stuff"
    - Now it won't run at all

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=118&t=370094
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 03-30-08 at 17:15. Reason: INFO
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast