Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do they still make/sell outdated bullet technology?

Feedback Score

Why do they still make/sell outdated bullet technology?

The first thing I do after deciding on a new firearm is decide what to use for HD/SD ammunition. When I first got into firearms for personal defense, I found the AR15.com/Firearms Tactical article that pretty much laid out what "worked" vs. what "didn't".

Obviously, the ammunition industry is always trying to improve their products as we see new stuff all the time. My question is :Why do they still produce ammo that is less effective?

You don't see Chevy simultaneously producing 1986, 1996, 2006 and 2014 models of the Impala do you? Does anyone make anything but flat-screen TVs? Does Intel still make 386 processors?

Yet we have ammo companies who continue to produce products with 20-30 year old technology. In the same grains, Federal has LE JHP, Hi-Shock, Hydra-Shock and HST. The older models don't pass "professional standards" at all. How many different lines of the same caliber do the other companies have?

This doesn't even include *all* the 115gr 9mm loads that don't "pass". How people load up their 9mm w/115gr WWB JHP and feel remotely safe is beyond me. I'd rather carry Ball @that point.

I know their price points are different, but if they only sold what "works" wouldn't they streamline and save money?

1st question is "Why?". My second question is: Is it deceitful to sell ammunition that they know may not perform its intended job?

All these re-sellers on Armslist and GunTrader selling 115 gr Hi-Shock for SD really kinda worries me.

Thanks!
    {--notes instant silence. Don't make me put on clothes and tickle you, Katy.

Feedback Score
    They sell them because ignorant people still purchase them...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefjon View Post
    The first thing I do after deciding on a new firearm is decide what to use for HD/SD ammunition. When I first got into firearms for personal defense, I found the AR15.com/Firearms Tactical article that pretty much laid out what "worked" vs. what "didn't".

Obviously, the ammunition industry is always trying to improve their products as we see new stuff all the time. My question is :Why do they still produce ammo that is less effective?

You don't see Chevy simultaneously producing 1986, 1996, 2006 and 2014 models of the Impala do you? Does anyone make anything but flat-screen TVs? Does Intel still make 386 processors?

Yet we have ammo companies who continue to produce products with 20-30 year old technology. In the same grains, Federal has LE JHP, Hi-Shock, Hydra-Shock and HST. The older models don't pass "professional standards" at all. How many different lines of the same caliber do the other companies have?

This doesn't even include *all* the 115gr 9mm loads that don't "pass". How people load up their 9mm w/115gr WWB JHP and feel remotely safe is beyond me. I'd rather carry Ball @that point.

I know their price points are different, but if they only sold what "works" wouldn't they streamline and save money?

1st question is "Why?". My second question is: Is it deceitful to sell ammunition that they know may not perform its intended job?

All these re-sellers on Armslist and GunTrader selling 115 gr Hi-Shock for SD really kinda worries me.

Thanks!
    Same reasons people by a lot of outdated and or worthless stuff: $$$.

Demand exists, they'll sell it.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Triton Quik-Shoks come to mind... Glaser Safety Slugs and Magsafe...
    Last edited by Shao; 06-13-13 at 12:40.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Because some agencies have the philosophy "don't confuse us with facts, we have always done it this way."
    Last edited by T2C; 06-13-13 at 13:27.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    The tooling is paid off, and until that tooling wears out, they'll keep using it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Because some agencies have the philosophy "don't confuse us with facts, we have always done it this way."
    Yeah, often there are contracts that continue on into oblivion, and the maker will keep kicking out that ammunition to satisfy those contracts. My agency ***JUST*** switched from Hydra-shoks in the past 12 months. We were using .40s&w 155gr Hydrashoks, and those perform abysmally in almost all tests. (Although just prior to the switch they were used in a shooting and did their job.) Now we're using .40 s&w 180gr HSTs. I'm much happier with these. That said, if you have bullets and a threat, just keep putting them together until you don't have a threat anymore....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As an example...

Hydrashok is alive and well, in some demand, sells well when in stock, yet is priced higher on many contracts than the HSTs.

Folks don't know what they don't know. Some have been carrying them so long, they don't have any desire to do differently.

I bought several cases of the 9MS for about the same price as economy training ball. I will continue to do so, as it's quite accurate, reliable, and a great deep-stock contingency load.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefjon View Post
    ...1st question is "Why?". My second question is: Is it deceitful to sell ammunition that they know may not perform its intended job?
    1. Because it sells.

2. No.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Cost, older designs are less expensive to manufacture.

Departments save money when buying in bulk.

My department for over 15 years would only purchase Federal Classic 115 H/P's (BP9) or Remington Express 115gr H/P's (9mm1) and I'm sure the only deciding factor was cost as there were much better loadings on the market during that time.

Over the last three years we have switch over to the Federal HST line in all calibers except .38spl and I now feel a little safer knowing that if I do my part with bullet placement the bullet has a much better chance of doing its job also due to better design technology.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast