Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slide to frame fit question.

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)

Slide to frame fit question.

I am recently learning the 1911 platform and I need a lesson. I recently received a Colt 70 Series Wiley Clapp. Slide to frame fit is a bit loose and, for lack of better terms, the slide hangs over the back of the frame just a bit. I have not fired it yet. Is the overhang something that will lead to future troubles and needs to be addressed with Colt or should I just start shooting/running the gun?

Last edited by 1GIG; 05-24-13 at 07:31.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    It's fine.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    It's fine.
    What he said, also its nice when a slide and frame fit together tight, but what you should be looking at, is does it shoot well and how is the barrel lock up? With the gun unloaded and in battery press down on the top of the barrel with your thumb, there should be little to know movement.

Also colt rattle that's just what they do.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The overhang won't affect the guns reliability; its just less then stellar fitting from the factory. On a production gun like this with no hand fitting, a looser slide to frame fit is more desirable IMO. If you've got a hand fit gun you can get away with tighter tolerances. Barrel lock-up is much more important to accuracy then slide to frame fit which actually has little to do with accuracy. Shoot it (a lot!) and see how she runs. Make changes as necessary.
    "The only defense against violent evil people are good people who are more skilled at violence" - Rory Miller

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    Thanks a lot for the replies. That is good news and was what I was hoping for. I will check the barrel lock up this evening when off of work and I am planning to get some rounds through it this weekend.
    I appreciate your time and reply.

Feedback Score
    I have a Springfield Mil Spec that has about the same amount of slide overhang but is pretty tight in the frame to slide fit. I had my gunsmith check it out (for future customization potential), and he stated that the overhang was not an issue as long as the lock-up and disconnect was fine, which it was on my Mil Spec. He appeared impressed with the overall quality of my Mil Spec.
    Looking forward to your range report.

Feedback Score
    All said is true for functionality. But for 1500 the brand name should not automatically get a pass on it. I would contact Colt.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The overhang mostly just hurts your eyes and the rattle the ears.. Still.. Like women, the next one is just around the corner.. Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike240 View Post
    All said is true for functionality. But for 1500 the brand name should not automatically get a pass on it. I would contact Colt.
    I'm with mike240 on this one. The overhang is just a cosmetic issue but it should not be there at all IMO. I would contact Colt about sending it back to have it re-fitted. I would expect nothing less on a Colt, especially a more upscale model such as the Wiley Clapp. My XSE Commander is properly fitted as they all should be:

Mine does rattle when I shake it. That I don't care about.
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 05-24-13 at 19:22.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    My rail gun is pretty loose. I think that is normal for Colt 1911's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast