Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable technique for defensive rounds?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Acceptable technique for defensive rounds?

I'm of the opinion that a duty/defensive round should use a crimped and sealed primer along with a crimp at the cannelure of the bullet. I have factory Lake City and Winchester 55 gr rounds still loaded that I've been thinking about pulling the bullets on in order to use the brass and primer. I understand the variances I might encounter with the different primers, and don't plan on using the powder currently in the cases.

I plan on working up a load using a Nosler 64 gr BSB over Varget or CFE 223. I've yet to use either powder (my experience is limited to H335 and TAC,) but want to hear some opinions on whether this is a safe practice.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    I'm of the opinion that a duty/defensive round should use a crimped and sealed primer along with a crimp at the cannelure of the bullet. I have factory Lake City and Winchester 55 gr rounds still loaded that I've been thinking about pulling the bullets on in order to use the brass and primer. I understand the variances I might encounter with the different primers, and don't plan on using the powder currently in the cases.

I plan on working up a load using a Nosler 64 gr BSB over Varget or CFE 223. I've yet to use either powder (my experience is limited to H335 and TAC,) but want to hear some opinions on whether this is a safe practice.
    I don't see any issues with your intended process to reuse the brass and primers. Though personally I feel just buying a good reputable defensive factory round such as a Horandy TAP or Winchester is the better option liability wise, but that's another debate.
    Other than that, quantity of the brass/primers you have may be a limiting factor on your load development.
    Last edited by Boxerglocker; 05-26-13 at 08:49.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
    I don't see any issues with your intended process to reuse the bras and primers. Though personally I feel just buying a good reputable defensive factory round such as a Horandy TAP or Winchester is the better option liability wise, but that's another debate.
    Other than that, quantity of the brass/primers you have may be a limiting factor on your load development.
    I second that! Legal nightmare to say the least, I'm no lawyer but, that's the first thing I would hit on in a criminal prosecution to prove you intended to kill, planned it, prepared for it by crafting what you believed to be a bullets more capable of killing.

Post like this while I'm sure not intended as stupid really scream lock me!
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post

markm does this all the time from what I understand. I think he calls them Mexican Match or something...I'm sure he'll be by here to chime in.

As for the legality issues mentioned above. I know that wasn't even a part of your question, but sorry to the other posters, I'm calling BS. A good shoot is a good shoot. This has been hashed out many times before, but as far as I know, there isn't one instance where a guy was prosecuted for using reloads in a case where he wouldn't have been prosecuted for the shoot being a bad shoot to begin with. Just sayin.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I second that! Legal nightmare to say the least, I'm no lawyer but, that's the first thing I would hit on in a criminal prosecution to prove you intended to kill, planned it, prepared for it by crafting what you believed to be a bullets more capable of killing.

Post like this while I'm sure not intended as stupid really scream lock me!
    How many criminal prosecutions have you been involved in?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    markm does this all the time from what I understand. I think he calls them Mexican Match or something...I'm sure he'll be by here to chime in.

As for the legality issues mentioned above. I know that wasn't even a part of your question, but sorry to the other posters, I'm calling BS. A good shoot is a good shoot. This has been hashed out many times before, but as far as I know, there isn't one instance where a guy was prosecuted for using reloads in a case where he wouldn't have been prosecuted for the shoot being a bad shoot to begin with. Just sayin.
    Perhaps not in a criminal case but what about a civil one? Additionally not trying to start a fight, but how many LE agency do you see using hand loads in any of there weapons, I don't know any? The term "mexican match" only initials the pulling a the bullet and its replacement with one of higher quality, the powder charge is left alone. What he is doing can be done a lot cheaper by buying primed brass.
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 05-26-13 at 13:26.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have never understood the desire to "work up" a defensive load. I've yet to see a proper defensive load like TAP not shoot accurately enough out of my guns to be a 100 yard headshot load. TAP runs at 1.5" five round groups out of my BCM and DD. It's pretty tough to come up with a scenario that a civilian would require a shot longer than that.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reloading and spend quite a bit of time building hunting and target loads, but the factory defensive stuff is pretty damn good these days. Good enough that I really can't do anything better for the intended purpose.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Re: Acceptable technique for defensive rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post

There actually was a case were a guy made super light 38 spcl. handloads for his super recoil sensitive wife. One day he walked in on her getting ready to blow her brains out and didn't make it in time. Gun shot residue testing on her was synonymous with the shooter being across the room due to the loads being so damn light. The courts ruled that reloading notes are not admissible in court and he was prosecuted for murder.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    That makes no sense in the way you are explaining it, to the point I suspect you're making it up or are really mistaken or confused. Or maybe just can't tell a story...

Doing research and testing in loading your own rounds is no different than an agency testing various ammunition. Agency tests would generally be much more intensive than a hobbyist could ever hope for.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    There actually was a case were a guy made super light 38 spcl. handloads for his super recoil sensitive wife. One day he walked in on her getting ready to blow her brains out and didn't make it in time. Gun shot residue testing on her was synonymous with the shooter being across the room due to the loads being so damn light. The courts ruled that reloading notes are not admissible in court and he was prosecuted for murder.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    That point was actually brought up a a concealed carry 101 and the law course I once attended. You cannot fabricate evidence on your own behalf. So in most cases all your load development data would be inadmissible in a court hearing.
    I'm of the opinion that the criminal liabilities are actually the lesser of the issues that I would be concerned with. I agree, a justified shoot is justified and though some states would hopefully absolve you of any civilian liability if that was the case. It's the Civilian trial that would definitely concern me. Even then, if as a hand loader I could prove myself innocent of any wrong doing, keep accurate records of my personal SD load development and testing. In the long run, it's just a lot more trying to justify my case if accused rather than hand over the box label with the current factory SD ammo that I am using. Yes, I keep those in my safe till the box is completely cycled though my mags and shot down range at practice.
    As for proof on my stance. I don't necessarily believe everything that supposedly can be researched on the internet. I have all the proof I need to form my own opinion. I've spoken to trusted friends and family in both local and federal law enforcement circles. I have a shooting associate that is criminal lawyer who happens to own one of the local gun ranges. I know him well enough that I would not hesitate to call him if I needed representation. People are free to make to stand on the side of the fence they choice, based on their personal research of the topic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast