Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable technique for defensive rounds?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have never understood the desire to "work up" a defensive load. I've yet to see a proper defensive load like TAP not shoot accurately enough out of my guns to be a 100 yard headshot load. TAP runs at 1.5" five round groups out of my BCM and DD. It's pretty tough to come up with a scenario that a civilian would require a shot longer than that.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reloading and spend quite a bit of time building hunting and target loads, but the factory defensive stuff is pretty damn good these days. Good enough that I really can't do anything better for the intended purpose.
    My intentions are due to the limited availability of affordable bonded soft point rounds to the civilian market right now. The new Nosler rounds are showing up in stock on Midway every once in a while, and SG Ammo has had the Winchester version available for some time now but at $31 a box. I have several boxes of Gold Dot 64 which is what I primarily keep with the rifle at any given time, however the 150 rds I bought before SHTF is hardly ideal.

This would be something to keep for bad situations in addition to my factory loaded ammo.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Re: Acceptable technique for defensive rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    That makes no sense in the way you are explaining it, to the point I suspect you're making it up or are really mistaken or confused. Or maybe just can't tell a story...

Doing research and testing in loading your own rounds is no different than an agency testing various ammunition. Agency tests would generally be much more intensive than a hobbyist could ever hope for.
    Or rather you just lack the compression to understand what I wrote. It's a well known case that even the poster under you is aware of. Next time maybe you should just ask questions about something instead of calling bullshit just because you don't understand it. Pretty much the definition of ignorant.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    He didn't mention specific knowledge of the case you are talking about, but the legal precedence you were poorly eluding at.

You didn't even say what state the case was in, the names of any of the parties, the year of the decision, or what court it was even heard in.

That amounts to an anecdote at best.

Or rather you just lack the compression to understand what I wrote.
    I think that would be comprehension.

This is the case which is poorly referenced herein...

Supreme Court of New Jersey

State v. Daniel N. Bias
    NOS. C-188 SEPT.TERM 1995, 40,813
    Oct 03, 1995
    Disposition: Cross-pet. Denied.
    N.J. 1995.
    State v. Bias
    142 N>J> 572, 667 A.2d 190 (Table)

What was held by a jury was that during an argument he pointed the gun at her and pulled the trigger. He mistakenly thought the gun was unloaded, and the hammer would fall on an empty chamber, in an effort to scare her.

He was wrong and shot her.

He was convicted of a lesser degree of a homicide related charge, Reckless Manslaughter by NJ law.

The mention of reloads was merely his defense, not a finding of fact by a court.
    Last edited by bp7178; 05-26-13 at 18:13.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm going to cut the bullshit and say that none of that has anything to do with what I asked, nor do I care. If I honest-to-God have to shoot someone in the defense of myself or family my firearm is first and foremost kept with factory loaded 64 gr Gold Dots. The issue is that those are no longer in steady supply in the amount that I would prefer to have on hand, but components are available for a similar and perhaps higher quality bullet.

The idea is that if the proverbial shit hits the fan, I'll have enough high(er) quality ammunition than I do now to squeeze by in a pinch.

What he is doing can be done a lot cheaper by buying primed brass.
    If there were primed brass available I'd have already bought it.
    Last edited by Leonidas24; 05-27-13 at 01:30.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    How many shots do you, or would you, anticipate firing in a "SHTF" scenario?

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but one 30 round magazine is probably way more than you'll ever need.

Also, carrying arms out in the open in such a scenario will more than likely get your ass wacked.

We all like to think that if some Walking Dead shit happened, we would have 10,000 k rounds of the best shit going to save our ass. But logistically, how to you store it? How do you transport it? How do you maintain the functionality of your weapon system long enough to be able to go through that much?

Reality. If shit ever got that ****ed up, your ability to gather water and food for life sustainment would FAR exceed your need for bonded factory loaded ammunition.

For home defense, having been awakened in the middle of the night as a matter of experience, my go to would be a pistol loaded at the ready with a mounted light.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but one 30 round magazine is probably way more than you'll ever need.

Also, carrying arms out in the open in such a scenario will more than likely get your ass wacked.

We all like to think that if some Walking Dead shit happened, we would have 10,000 k rounds of the best shit going to save our ass. But logistically, how to you store it? How do you transport it? How do you maintain the functionality of your weapon system long enough to be able to go through that much?

Reality. If shit ever got that ****ed up, your ability to gather water and food for life sustainment would FAR exceed your need for bonded factory loaded ammunition.

For home defense, having been awakened in the middle of the night as a matter of experience, my go to would be a pistol loaded at the ready with a mounted light.
    I don't mean to offend but clearly the intent of the thread has been misunderstood. I'm only talking about an extra 200 rounds to compliment what I already have until prices and supply stabilize.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You are completely missing the point and he doesn't care if you want to use a pistol. That's not what he is asking.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    It is my firm belief (and others as well) the type of ammunition (unless it is illegal or you are claiming and accidental discharge) will be meaningless. There is only one case of late that comes to mind and that was the case of Harold Fish. In all honesty it wouldn't have mattered if he was using a 9mm or .45 because the prosecutor was out to get him.

Load whatever you are going to load and if you feel comfortable with those rounds as far as their accuracy and reliability then go for it. For more important will be whether or not your shoot was "clean" and justifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    I don't mean to offend but clearly the intent of the thread has been misunderstood. I'm only talking about an extra 200 rounds to compliment what I already have until prices and supply stabilize.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I wonder, if you would be more likely to be prosecuted for committing suicide with reloaded ammo vs factory ammo?
    I mean suicide is illegal but I bet, maybe the reloaded ammo will drive the DA mad that you had the audacity to shoot yourself with reloaded ammo! Why the unmitigated gall of some people!

I have read the self defense with reloaded ammo vs factory ammo so much, how about we get the suicide with reloads vs factory debate going? How many people have been prosecuted for doing this with reloads vs factory ammo?

To the OP's original question, for my use, a quality reload is just as good or better for any use as a factory load is. In my 223's I have used the Speer 70 gr RN @ 2750 fps for decades. Killed many dozens of deer and a few hogs, bullet performance has been stellar and I have full confidence in the loads ability to perform as a defensive round.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    If you already know what you want to do, and you're "of the opinion that a duty/defensive round should use a crimped and sealed primer along with a crimp at the cannelure of the bullet", just buy some primer/bullet sealer and a Lee FCD and have at it.

Different primer/bullet sealant will have manufacturers instructions associated with its use. IIRC, primer sealer is best applied before inserting the primer by brushing a small amount along the walls of the primer pocket, not just swiping the brush across the finished cartridge.

Clearly I misunderstood the intent of the thread as typically they are typically used to invite conversation about a topic, which in this case the topic being carbine defensive ammunition and the handloader.
    Last edited by bp7178; 05-27-13 at 11:11.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast