Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for AR Deer Hunters

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)

Question for AR Deer Hunters

The majority of deer hunters still hunt out of a stand. Ladder type, climbing, homemade, etc... which necessitates the need to climb to a elevated height.

We all know what a AR sounds like when the charging handle is racked. It's loud even when trying to do it quietly. Especially in the quite early morning just before dawn. No doubt game associates this metallic noise with humans and will shy from it.

Do you climb with the rifle already charged to avoid this racket?

I admit I've have done it in certain stands/locations. I don't like it at all and do it as safely as I can. I never do it with a tree climber. I don't hunt out of one much anymore anyway.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Why would you wait until you're in your stand? I know what you're answer will be of course (if I drop it while climbing up it can fall and discharge) but you should have a mechanism in place for just such a thing.

A simple sling will do fine for your typical ladder stand. If you use a wooden platform that was nailed up in the tree (as I used to) with no ladder beyond some random 2x4s then simply have a thin rope dangling from the seat area to the ground. Then you tie the rifle on at the bottom and pull it up from the top. Just make sure it won't be interfered with on it's way up.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Yeah, I've used slings and ropes.

Most of my stands don't lend themselves to this however.
    I'm a big believer in concealment. Most of my stands are situated amongst a group of thick cedars, holly or pines with the limbs trimmed out just big enough to climb in and then see out when in the platform.

Safety selectors can be disengaged while the AR is slinged or being pulled up. I've had it happen twice over the years while walking with my AR in a two point. Snagged on a seam on my jacket or something. Not sure. I pay very particular attention to that now.

I've always been taught that it is not safe and therefore not a good idea. You can see I always heed the advice of my hunting mentors.

Accidents are called accidents for a reason. I'm just curious as to how many take the chance.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you don't want to climb into your stand with a loaded weapon or charge it once you're in your stand, that really only leaves one option. I know it's frowned upon in most cases but you may have to ride the charging handle & utilize the forward assist. Might be your only option to be safe & quiet. If It were me though, I'd just climb up & charge it as I normally would.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    Yeah, I've used slings and ropes.

Most of my stands don't lend themselves to this however.
    I'm a big believer in concealment. Most of my stands are situated amongst a group of thick cedars, holly or pines with the limbs trimmed out just big enough to climb in and then see out when in the platform.

Safety selectors can be disengaged while the AR is slinged or being pulled up. I've had it happen twice over the years while walking with my AR in a two point. Snagged on a seam on my jacket or something. Not sure. I pay very particular attention to that now.

I've always been taught that it is not safe and therefore not a good idea. You can see I always heed the advice of my hunting mentors.

Accidents are called accidents for a reason. I'm just curious as to how many take the chance.
    What can I say. Better safe than sorry but if you ask me you're over thinking it. Did a lot of hunting as a teen into my thirties and never found myself struggling so deeply with this relatively simple issue.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    If you don't want to climb into your stand with a loaded weapon or charge it once you're in your stand, that really only leaves one option. I know it's frowned upon in most cases but you may have to ride the charging handle & utilize the forward assist. Might be your only option to be safe & quiet.
    This. If you get to your stand early, it won't be a problem.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Oh I'm not struggling with it at all. I do it more often than not.
    And I DO think about it every time I do it.

Like I said, just curious as to who else does it. That's all.
    Scoby

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I won't climb a treestand with a loaded rifle. I won't pull a loaded rifle up to my stand, either. You can charge an AR near silently with a little practice. I can charge the rifle as quietly as I can get in a metal ladder stand or climber. The secret is going slow. Make sure and catch the dust cover as it opens and pay special attention to when the bolt locks. Then justify that forward assist.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dentron View Post
    This. If you get to your stand early, it won't be a problem.

Not if you are in between a bedding and feeding area.

Deer tend to not forget such sounds very readily.
    Scoby

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by backspur View Post
    I can charge the rifle as quietly as I can get in a metal ladder stand or climber. The secret is going slow. Make sure and catch the dust cover as it opens and pay special attention to when the bolt locks. Then justify that forward assist.

I tried that once. Had even practiced it.

Had the hammer fall with a click while sighted in on the back of a does head at 10 yds. Used the forward assist when charging it too. By the time I racked the CH she and the other two took off.

I muffed it good.
    Scoby

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast