Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg MVP Thunder Ranch

Feedback Score

Re: Mossberg MVP Thunder Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by PA PATRIOT View Post
    I was thinking about the basic patrol but the 1-9 is a killer.
    Does the 1:9 barrel realy matter. Remington 700's have been built with similar twist in the past and they have worked fine.

I have a similar twist shooting 77gr. and no problems. Although whrn this barrel is done ill grt a 1:8 and see if I get any improvements. Probably will but I doubt it will be earth moving.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Really cool concept. Unfortunately it falls in the "neat" category for me. I see little to nothing it could do that an AR couldn't, and the AR is MUCH more versatile.
    For my needs, I'd be interested in that configuration in 308. A good quality AR in 5.56 (which I have) and a scout style bolt gun in 308 would seem a good combination that covers a wide range of potential uses. Quality ARs in 308 start to get pricy but no doubt worth it if one wants to spend the $$$.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    For my needs, I'd be interested in that configuration in 308. A good quality AR in 5.56 (which I have) and a scout style bolt gun in 308 would seem a good combination that covers a wide range of potential uses. Quality ARs in 308 start to get pricy but no doubt worth it if one wants to spend the $$$.
    Agreed. That, and I've never been overly fond of the .308 AR platform. A short action .308 bolt gun is still pretty compact and tidy.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Agreed. That, and I've never been overly fond of the .308 AR platform. A short action .308 bolt gun is still pretty compact and tidy.
    Who makes such a thing in a reasonably priced package?
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Who makes such a thing in a reasonably priced package?
    Remington makes a 16.5in version of their AAC 700. 1-10 twist, 16.5in barrel, threaded barrel
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    I have read that the bolt may be the weak point.
    Anyone have pictures of one? It would be the same for any of the MVP Models.

Also anyone know what makes the barrels easier to swap?
    I read somewhere that Black Hole Weaponry was making barrels for Savage and Mossberg.
    It seemed they were implying they are both easy DIY swaps.

Again it would make a great Truck/Farm gun since in PA we cant use a Semi-Auto to pop critters.

I would just like all my ammo to be interchangeable. But I can live with the 1:9.
    I have a Surefire 212 suppressor which would add some coolness

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really want to like this gun, as I am a fan of compact bolt guns and one in .223 would be a great training rifle for the two practical rifles I own in 308. I just can't get over the design of the bolt and feed from a magazine. One of my 308s had the Robar conversion to M14 magazines done way back in the day. Their approach was to adjust the feed lips to work with the existing bolt. That means each magazine has to be modified to work with the gun, which is not a big deal for me to do for my one rifle but on a production level? Mossberg took the opposite tact, which was to figure out a way for their bolt to work with a stock magazine. Basically, there is a little lever (I forget their term), that when the bolt is open is flipped out via spring power to push the round out of the magazine and then as the bolt goes back into battery it is flush with the bottom of the bolt. I have looked at it on several rifles and it just looks failure prone to me. Reports are about 50/50 for feeding reliably. Part of that I attribute to folks not knowing you need to run a bolt with a good bit of authority on most rifles especially if they start to heat up or get dirty. The other part, well if the angle of the dangle is off it won't feed.

WillBrink check out the Ruger Gun Site. In my opinion it is currently the best option for a compact bolt gun in 308 for general use. It is not a precision rifle, but If you are looking for a 308 rifle to complement an AR for field use it is the one.
    Co-Owner of Hill People Gear
    "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 8th View Post

WillBrink check out the Ruger Gun Site. In my opinion it is currently the best option for a compact bolt gun in 308 for general use. It is not a precision rifle, but If you are looking for a 308 rifle to complement an AR for field use it is the one.
    Thanx. I knew Ruger had something like that. Couldn't remember if it was Thunder Ranch or Gun Site editions! Yes, not looking for a precision gun per se, but reliable, well made, and accuracy "good enough for gubment work" as they say.

What type of accuracy have you heard people getting from that gun in .308 using decent ammo?
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have only shot milsurp so far. I didn't draw a tag last year, and can afford to shoot a lot more on milsurp, and most of my stash is milsurp. If I do my part I get around 2 moa (sometimes a bit better sometimes a bit less). I know several people who have one that I personally know can shoot and with good ammo they are getting around 1 moa, which based on past experience is about what I expect to get if I switched from milsurp.

If you start looking on the internet you will find lots of variation. I think a couple of things are in play here. First is your optics limitations. For example for me the 2.5 Leupold is a 2moa scope no matter the ammunition because that is how precise I can hold with it at distance. Does that mean it isn't a good field scope? No it just means that it might be the issue and not the gun, but since people don't have the experience with it vs other optics on the same rifle they don't realize that it has that limitation. I am not saying that everyone will have the same experience and I have certainly shot tighter groups with one, but on average that is my reality with that particular scope. If you think about it a 2moa group is good for most uses to 400-500 yds. Again it is not a precision rifle so tight groups is not the point. Another issue I see, and I attribute this to the AR world is that most folks seem to mount their optic way to high. It doesn't have a straight stock so you don't need the extra height like on an AR, but if you are used to having to run a high height then a high height is what you go for. The result is a less than ideal cheek weld, and one that for most isn't consistent. Another thing is you have to come off the rifle to cycle the bolt, and if you aren't used to getting into a repeatable position, which only comes from practice, then you are the issue not the rifle. There are other issues I could reference, but what it boils down to is mine and the ones in hands of folks I know can shoot they seem to be a 1 to 2 moa gun depending on ammunition and optics.
    Co-Owner of Hill People Gear
    "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 8th View Post
    I have only shot milsurp so far. I didn't draw a tag last year, and can afford to shoot a lot more on milsurp, and most of my stash is milsurp. If I do my part I get around 2 moa (sometimes a bit better sometimes a bit less). I know several people who have one that I personally know can shoot and with good ammo they are getting around 1 moa, which based on past experience is about what I expect to get if I switched from milsurp.

If you start looking on the internet you will find lots of variation. I think a couple of things are in play here. First is your optics limitations. For example for me the 2.5 Leupold is a 2moa scope no matter the ammunition because that is how precise I can hold with it at distance. Does that mean it isn't a good field scope? No it just means that it might be the issue and not the gun, but since people don't have the experience with it vs other optics on the same rifle they don't realize that it has that limitation. I am not saying that everyone will have the same experience and I have certainly shot tighter groups with one, but on average that is my reality with that particular scope. If you think about it a 2moa group is good for most uses to 400-500 yds. Again it is not a precision rifle so tight groups is not the point. Another issue I see, and I attribute this to the AR world is that most folks seem to mount their optic way to high. It doesn't have a straight stock so you don't need the extra height like on an AR, but if you are used to having to run a high height then a high height is what you go for. The result is a less than ideal cheek weld, and one that for most isn't consistent. Another thing is you have to come off the rifle to cycle the bolt, and if you aren't used to getting into a repeatable position, which only comes from practice, then you are the issue not the rifle. There are other issues I could reference, but what it boils down to is mine and the ones in hands of folks I know can shoot they seem to be a 1 to 2 moa gun depending on ammunition and optics.
    Thanx for the intel. I'd expect my uses/recs would be at most, 200-300 yard shots (100 or less being most common however) and medium sized game and general shooting and (my not informed opinion) is that would be acceptable accuracy.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast