Thread: M40 Clone?

Feedback Score

M40 Clone?

I've thought about getting a Remington 700 for sometime and I'm considering making it an M40 clone project that I'll work on over time.

There are two way's that I can approach the barrel issue. One would be to purchase the Remington Model 700 SPS which comes with a 26 inch heavy barrel, then send it off and have it turned down to a 24 inch barrel. My only concern is that the work needs to be done properly so that there is no damage to the barrel causing a lose of accuracy.

Second method would be to contract someone who specializes in custom Model 700 barrels and have one made to the following Marine Corps specifications: 24 inch, 6-groove, 1:12" match grade heavy barrel. The only problem with this is since I'm new to the Model 700 custom build world, I wouldn't know of a reputable custom shop that could do the work, and I don't think that Schneider sells their Marine Corps contract barrels.

Finally I would need to get a M40 stock, or close to authentic replica as possible. Should make for a nice long term project, and If I go for a custom made barrel, I can sell the factory barrel and put that money toward the project. I'll be sending the rifle off to have any custom work needed done by a professional shop, provided that I can find shops that specialize in custom Model 700 projects.

What do you think the better option would be, Model 700 SPS heavy barrel and have it turned down, or cheapest Model 700 and have the barrel swapped out for a custom made one to Marine Corps specs?
    Last edited by ContractSoldier; 11-23-15 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you go over the $2500 mark to build one, you might consider buying one already built by GA Precision. They rebuilt some rifles for my agency and did a great job on them. They guarantee 1/2 MOA with match ammunition.

http://www.gaprecision.net/mil-spec-rifles/m40a1.html
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You're probably the only one who can answer your question. If it's something you really desire to build, then you might as well start with the cheapest 700 off the shelf. You'll end up replacing 95% of it anyway. OTOH, GAP makes probably as close a replica as you're going to get all in one package. Not cheap, though. If you're set on having a replica for the sake of collection or sentiment, either way will get you there. Personally though; If you're looking for a tactical bolt gun, especially one that you will hike the wilderness with, you could probably do a lot better than the 40. My .02.

Marlton, Evesham Township, New Jersey USA
    Feedback Score
    Remington offered a factory replica circa 2008. You can still find them on the used gun market from time to time.
    wm_1171399.jpg
    "It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep", Old Roman Proverb.
    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know", Author Unknown.
    "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!", Shakespeare, Julius Ceaser, Act III, Scene I.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Mike Lau at Texas Brigade Armory has been making them for years.