Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mossberg MVP Thunder Ranch

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Thanx for the intel. I'd expect my uses/recs would be at most, 200-300 yard shots (100 or less being most common however) and medium sized game and general shooting and (my not informed opinion) is that would be acceptable accuracy.
    Of course a .5 moa rifle would be nice and the skill to get .5 moa out of it, but for general use a ton of medium sized game have been killed by iron sighted 30/30s cleanly at the ranges you are talking about. In my opinion, I am no expert, but I have killed a couple of critters over the years consistent 2moa from field positions is plenty good to get the job done. The key is making sure the majority of your practice is from field positions. Just like with an AR shooting a group off the bench is a very different proposition from shooting say a walk back drill.
    Co-Owner of Hill People Gear
    "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It seems Mossberg will be making these in .308 that take AR-10 mags. Anyone know anything about these, the MVP in general, or Mossberg bolt guns in general?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly'nBuff View Post
    The MVP Patrol caught my eye, but I haven't had an opportunity to get my hands on one yet. I like the iron sight option and is listed at 7 pounds. I agree with you on the twist rate.
    http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifl...p-patrol/27755

The Patrol Rifle's MSRP is $681. A more reasonable priced.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I could see its use (for me) if it both cost and weighed less. However, at that price I can simply buy an AR15 and get more utility out of it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifl...p-patrol/27755

The Patrol Rifle's MSRP is $681. A more reasonable priced.
    That is with the standard barrel. Threaded with an A2 brings MSRP up to $698. Wonder what street price will be...

And it looks like the gun is very similar to the Thunder Ranch version (same stock, different color, based on looks), but you wouldnt think 2" of med bull barrel would add 1.25lbs.

One on GB at $650, but I dont know if that is normal price or not, dont really watch mossberg pricing.

Feedback Score
    I've been seriously considering picking up one of these, anyone have any new insights into how they have held up since this thread was active? I'm interested in whether it's been a solid shooter now that it's been a couple of years since you guys have had them. I want a new bolt gun, I had a Ruger Gunsight Scout a while back but I offloaded it. This rifle has been on my radar mainly because of interchangeability of Mags between this and my AR. I basically only shoot 5.56 and 9mm, so again buying this helps me keep ammo cost down as well. So anyway, any insight into how this gun has held up would be greatly appreciated!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgizzard View Post
    I've been seriously considering picking up one of these, anyone have any new insights into how they have held up since this thread was active? I'm interested in whether it's been a solid shooter now that it's been a couple of years since you guys have had them. I want a new bolt gun, I had a Ruger Gunsight Scout a while back but I offloaded it. This rifle has been on my radar mainly because of interchangeability of Mags between this and my AR. I basically only shoot 5.56 and 9mm, so again buying this helps me keep ammo cost down as well. So anyway, any insight into how this gun has held up would be greatly appreciated!
    I've been researching them too and it sends they have feeding issues, at least the 556 versions. From what I've watched and read, some mags work better than others (no surprise) but the issue with all of them is too much up and down and front to back play when the mag is seated. This causes misfeeds. Some guys have remedied this by adding a small strip of gorilla tape to the front of the magazine well which reduces the wobble. To me, mossberg needs to address the issue if I'm going to buy this gun.

As far as the thunder ranch version, it's the only one with a synthetic stock, so I don't understand how the hell its over a pound heavier than the patrol model. The rest of them are actualy wood stocks with a weird textured coating on them.

If it weren't for the magazine issues I'd probably get one because I think it's cool, and it will fire 556. But I just can't get past the feeding problems even if I can jerry rig the mag well.

Feedback Score

Mossberg MVP Thunder Ranch

Good info, I figured there had to be a snag with this rifle. For now I'll probably hold off on dropping my spending money on one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Bolt actions are so fun when shooting just for the pleasure of shooting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123