Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Howe - CSAT ???

Feedback Score

Paul Howe - CSAT ???

I have seen some posts where folks say they have attended a Paul Howe class, but haven't seen any detailed info on the classes themselves, his teaching method, etc. Can anyone who has attended one of his classes give me some info? The good, bad and ugly. Also, any input on staying at his range vs a hotel?

I'm in Texas looking to attend a good carbine class to get some foundation laid with my new(ish) AR before I create too many bad habits. I found Paul Howe, and his background sounds pretty good, kinda similar to LAV, but Paul appears to be heavily bent towards police/SWAT.

Any first hand knowledge is appreciated.

(And yes, I would like to take a Pat Rogers and/or LAV class so no need to pitch those guys! Right now I need a Texas class (my home state so cheap travel), and would prefer sooner vs. later (stop bad habits from forming))

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I've never to Paul's home school so I'm not familiar with his new lodging offerings. I've hosted Paul at our range in GA. We had Paul do the 2 days carbine class. His instructions were clear and based on tried and true techniques. He'll show you more than one way to do things, and doesn't believe in making you do things "his way or the highway". He strongly believe in doing the basic correctly and is a true believer in accuracy. Paul's system will work with police, military or an average civillian homeowner. His system will work from dryfire to the square range then to the street. I highly recommend his class. Paul is a real gentleman, but don't let his calm and quiet demeanor fool you.

Feedback Score
    You might also want to check out Jim Smith at Spartan Tactical. He served in the same unit as Larry Vickers and Paul Howe. He is located in Fort Worth and might be closer to you.

http://www.spartantactical.com/about_us_page.html

Feedback Score
    Heres a link to a review of one of Howe's classes. Do not know the author.
    http://forums.officer.com/showthread...=1#post1161602

Recently had classes with two instructors from a central Texas police department. By their admission, their department is extremely tight with Mr Howe, regularly hosting him, etc. They had some very good things about him, his material and his presentation.
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I took Paul Howe's 5 day AHR class a few months ago that was hosted by a local LE SWAT team.

I'd read his book previously and was excited at the opportunity to train with him.

From my perspective the class was excellent. He believes in keeping things simple but that doesn't mean its easy. The course was primarily a tactics course and so a lot of time was spent on problem solving, small unit leadership and planning. He teaches a lot of "basic" skills/drills which can then be applied to different scenarios. I'm oversimplifying but he uses tactics that are modular so you can build on them but also doesn't conflict with other aspects of the training.

He wasn't as intense as I thought he'd be, not a knock on him just the impression I had. He is excellent as far as fielding questions and doing his best to articulate all the options. As others have said, he doesn't teach "the way" but "a way". However, he is very clear on what he teaches and why he teaches it. He is big on giving the students the tools to develop their own SOP's on how to do things based on mission and capabilities.

He uses video as an integral part of his teaching as he feels that takes some of the subjectiveness out of the AAR. If you make a mistake the whole class gets to watch it. Part of this is learning from other people's mistakes. The process is meant to be constructive and professional at all times.

I learned a lot from it and wouldn't hesitate to take any of his classes again.

Feedback Score
    Gents

In my opinion you can't go wrong training with Paul - I have known him for years and he is a very good shooter - I think you will like training with him

If you do give him my regards

Cheers

Larry Vickers

www.vickerstactical.com
    Last edited by Larry Vickers; 04-03-08 at 13:57. Reason: misspelling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    Gents

In my opinion you can go wrong training with Paul - I have know him for years and he is a very good shooter - I think you will like training with him

If you do give him my regards

Cheers

Larry Vickers

www.vickerstactical.com
    Do you have any input on Jim Smith?

Feedback Score
    Honestly I don't know Jim that well - I have known Paul for quite some time - my guess is you can't go wrong with his training either

I have always taken something, no matter how small , from every class I have ever had - hell I learn something new virtually every class I teach

If you ever quit learning it is time to check out of the net

cheers

Larry Vickers

www.vickerstactical.com

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    Honestly I don't know Jim that well - I have known Paul for quite some time - my guess is you can't go wrong with his training either

I have always taken something, no matter how small , from every class I have ever had - hell I learn something new virtually every class I teach

If you ever quit learning it is time to check out of the net

cheers

Larry Vickers

www.vickerstactical.com
    I would really like to learn a few things in your 4 day pistol / carbine classes ... any chance you'll be back in TX late this year for something like that...?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast