Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Howe - CSAT ???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Treehopr View Post
    The course was primarily a tactics course and so a lot of time was spent on problem solving, small unit leadership and planning. He teaches a lot of "basic" skills/drills which can then be applied to different scenarios. I'm oversimplifying but he uses tactics that are modular so you can build on them but also doesn't conflict with other aspects of the training.
    I appreciate the input. One of the things I'm hesitant on and your post, and others that I've read, seems to confirm is that Paul is heavily geared towards LE. I am interested in honing my individual shooting skills, rather than doing "what if" SWAT scenarios. Can you elaborate on how much time was spent on team tactics vs. individual shooting?

I see LAV gave Paul the thumb's up so perhaps I just set aside the hesitancy and give it a shot, no pun intended.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    To answer your question there was no live fire so individual shooting was not specifically taught as far as mechanics. He does spend quite a bit of time on target discrimination, weapons manipulation and shooting positions.

I've met a few students who have taken his other classes and have yet to hear anything negative.

I'm not sure why you're concerned about him being too LE-centric, to me, shooting a bad guy is shooting a bad guy and I have no doubt he can teach the mechanics of shooting.

I'd been trying to take on of his classes for 2 years and was finally able to get a spot in the recent class. If it wasn't for the long travel time to Texas I would've taken his pistol or carbine course by now and its still on my to do list to take a few more of his classes.

Hope this helps and good luck with the training.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I haven't taken a class with Paul, but have talked to him on several occasions and he was more than happy to offer any assistance. I have been trying to get into one of his classes for a year or so too. I am however already pre-registered to attend his Advanced HR class in August and am very confident in his training.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinking Dog View Post
    I appreciate the input. One of the things I'm hesitant on and your post, and others that I've read, seems to confirm is that Paul is heavily geared towards LE. I am interested in honing my individual shooting skills, rather than doing "what if" SWAT scenarios. Can you elaborate on how much time was spent on team tactics vs. individual shooting?

I see LAV gave Paul the thumb's up so perhaps I just set aside the hesitancy and give it a shot, no pun intended.
    What you have seen and read about Paul's class were geared toward LE, military and team tactics. Like I said once before, he has civillian classes and those are geared to teach individuals. Looks like those classes are what you're looking for. The class I hosted was a civilian class and we didn't hear a thing about kicking down doors or fast roping.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not all of Paul's classes are about doing cool guy stuff. He seems to keep the material geared toward who is in the class. Its not like he treats everyone like a Shemagh wearing contractor.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone for the comments, very much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've taken three classes with Paul. Tactical Team Leader, Basic Pistol/Rifle, and basic carbine.
    You will not go wrong with his carbine course. He teaches basic TTP's, that are proven in gunfights. Some of them may seem outdated, or not envogue, but they work well, and have been doing so for awhile. He doesn't believe in changing proven TTP's and equipment, until the new stuff is proven to be better and not just new.
    Like Vickers and Jim Smith, I've trained with them also, Paul places a heavy emphasis on accuracy, believing good solid hits, no matter the range, is the surest way to end a fight.(wish I could get some co-workers to believe that)
    He will cover all the basics, including setting the gun up, maintanence, malfunctions, positions, etc.

Go to his web site, and look up his published articles, and monthly newsletters(they go back a few years) and you'll get alot of good info, and see where he's coming from.

I would take any of the three classes again, and probably will, and looking to get inot the AHR class, when I can.

Bob

Feedback Score
    Bob,

I've been tracking Paul's training work for a while and have finally made arrangements to do two of his classes this Fall: the Tactical Pistol Instructor and the Tactical Rifle Instructor. Should be an illuminating and motivating couple of weeks!

I'm thinking that CSAT will nicely complement my Vickers and Pat Rogers training experiences of the past couple of years.

Feedback Score
    I've only trained with two instructors so far, Paul Howe and Pat Rogers. Paul is one of the few reasons I regret leaving Ft. Hood.
    Paul is an excellent instructor. I've taken two classes with him, Tactical Pistol and a 1 day Carbine class. I think the best thing I can say in reference to his quality of instruction and what he teaches is that I wish I'd been to his training before I went to Iraq. My old roommate said something similar along with "Well I feel a lot more comfortable with my rifle now." FWIW, both of us are Infantrymen. Paul has been great with taking time to answer questions, especially in reference to shooting, which I usually pass on to my soldiers. Like all the instructors with his background, he places accuracy first. Be prepared for a high standard of accuracy in the course-but don't let it frighten you either, you will learn to get there in the class.
    I have no qualms about returning to Paul's to train and I have absolutely no reservations about recommending him (or Pat, Larry, Kyle--the latter 2 by reputation) to my soldiers who are looking for additional training.

Feedback Score
    I have taken classes from Pat Rogers, Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn and Paul Howe. Paul is a class act and a very good instructor. The main reason I have only taken one class from him, is the travel from Ohio to Texas in order to take a class. Since you are a Texas resident, I think you should consider yourself lucky and start taking classes from Paul.

The fact that LAV gives him a thumbs up should remove any doubt from your mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast